Oracle Finally Confirms It's Canning Solaris 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
    I think that the world would be better without this corporate hell OS, HP UX is dying too, i hope that AIX would die too.
    Basically, everything that gets to call itself “Unix” deserves to die.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
      Basically, everything that gets to call itself “Unix” deserves to die.
      a tl;dr
      And Linux itself has become so dominant, that if anybody were to try to offer a “Unix” system nowadays, I would want to ask them:
      Is your “Unix” Linux-compatible?

This is also very meme.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
        Oracle has killed pretty much everything they acquired from Sun. MySQL, Solaris, Netbeans, OpenOffice. And Java isn't in great shape these days either. Pathetic. I wish IBM would have bought Sun.
        Java the language is in Android, so it's not going anywhere. And the Java Virtual Machine as a platform for other projects is healthy too.

But the language evolution may be dying. I doubt Oracle will keep investing in java if they can't see a direct path to making billions as a result.

Comment

So there's no Solaris 12 but there's Solaris.next? wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            So there's no Solaris 12 but there's Solaris.next? wtf?
            If you read the Ars article phoronix links to, you'll see it's actually "Solaris 11.next". Presumably, some minor updates to the existing Solaris 11.

Comment

So presumably OEL will now be Oracle's primary OS. I wonder whether we should be concerned for Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

Java the language is in Android, so it's not going anywhere.
                The one remaining successful use of Java, and Oracle would like to kill it.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  So presumably OEL will now be Oracle's primary OS. I wonder whether we should be concerned for Linux?
                  OEL is 99% RHEL, so no.

Comment

You could probably add another .9% to that!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                      But the language evolution may be dying. I doubt Oracle will keep investing in java if they can't see a direct path to making billions as a result.
                      Actually, the language itself has done fairly well under Oracle... Java 7 and 8 both included some very useful improvements, and while Java 9 has been much delayed, that's mostly because of the difficulty of delivering on some of the big enhancements it provides.

As to where the money is - I don't think they make much off Java itself... maybe something off support contracts, but nothing of significance. But the Java ecosystem is the key to the enterprise... the language, the JavaEE spec, etc. And that's where the money is coming from - enterprise apps built on a Java stack are probably running on Weblogic and talking to an Oracle database.

Comment

Working...
                      X