Oracle Might Be Canning Solaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cynic View Post
    they are not going ti relicence anything. They might include ZFS support in their Linux distribution, making it interesting for someone for the first time. (just because it would be the only enterprise distribution supporting it)
    That's not how it works. The license conditions that apply to Linux don't allow this. Either they distribute ZFS under compatible license and everyone can distribute it too, or they don't do it at all.

Comment

Finally. Few years ago someone was saying slowlaris is a dead cow and Ellison is a liar. Thanks oracle for admiting this. This bloated crap is dead since long time.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
        at least they continue to maintain virtualbox
        Shhhh, Larry doesn't know about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Pretty much. That's what we do at work - development machines run CentOS, while testing environments (and the clients) run RedHat with a support contract.

I suspect that from the RedHat perspective, it's a useful branding split. The actual product is more or less identical, but it's clearer to distinguish "free CentOS vs commercial RedHat" than it is to distinguish "RedHat with or without a support contract".
          Afaik, RH makes money from support and some commercial tools (monitoring & administration) only available in RHEL. So yes, you wouldn't need to pay for those tools for each developer PC.
          At the same time, having the same runtime available, ensures the code is run under the same conditions from dev to QA to production, which is always good for quality. So yes, unlike other companies that make operating systems, RH can let us have the cake and eat it at the same time

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            I doubt anyone would miss them.
            I managed a few ones used for data storage and transfer, they were rock stable and for this I miss them a bit.
            (Linux distros were not that stable in this era, now Solaris is useless)

Comment

Originally posted by lkundrak View Post

That's not how it works. The license conditions that apply to Linux don't allow this. Either they distribute ZFS under compatible license and everyone can distribute it too, or they don't do it at all.
              They could distribuite it as a kernel module, and that would fully comply with the kernel license

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                trolololololol!
                here is a little education for you from zfs developer https://lwn.net/Articles/342892/

Comment

Originally posted by funfunctor View Post
                  Full disclosure; I worked a little on ZFS's code base.
                  you could also get some education from my previous post

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
                    They could distribuite it as a kernel module, and that would fully comply with the kernel license
                    they couldn't if it is derived from linux. are you sure you could successfully argue in court that linux filesystem module is not derived from linux?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      here is a little education for you from zfs developer https://lwn.net/Articles/342892/
                      It's a 7 year old article. It says nothing about the current state of btrfs and how it compares to ZFS in a production environment like a data center. Please bring relevant information the next time you want to hand out "education."

Comment

Working...
                      X