Trying Out & Failing With OpenIndiana, Solaris 11.3 On The Broadwell-EP System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post
    Slowlaris is by no means alone in that. I don't know if it's still the case but the EULA of Microsoft SQL also banned the publication of any benchmark. It really baffles me how their brains work: they apparently believe that I, for instance, would buy a product without any possibility to verify objective results, and instead blindly trust whatever Microsoft or Oracle claim, all while simultaneously agreeing to an EULA that expressly releases them from any warranty. Yeah, that sounds likely. Not.
    They assume that you don't have any choice (i.e. vendor lock-in), probably, or that those making the choice are idiots and choose MS or Oracle based on other reasons (very likely).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Saying "I had a crippling bug" without linking a bug report makes your claim invalid.

Remember kids, always take time to file bug reports as upstream as possible (i.e. not in your distro's bugtracker unless it is a software they develop), so the developers of the software see it.
      In this case I did look at Debian's bug tracker and found out that the issue had already been reported, related to device paths for SAS controllers like mine.

No need to be condescending.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

It's also likely that very few users are using slowlaris and this could explain why nobody reported it before.

It's not about running it on ancient hardware and you could always use different Linux distribution. In above case you're limited to illumos or proprietary crap like slowlaris.
        If nobody reported it before, then this is even more important to do it.

As many people I own several machines and maintaining them with different distributions is not an option: I'd rather report and try to help with fixing the issue if I can.

Comment

Originally posted by jollyd View Post

In this case I did look at Debian's bug tracker and found out that the issue had already been reported, related to device paths for SAS controllers like mine.

No need to be condescending.
          Still not seeing links to bug reports.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Still not seeing the point in spending more time answering trolls

Comment

Originally posted by jollyd View Post
              Still not seeing the point in spending more time answering trolls

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

My theory is ms and oracle pays its users for using their products. There's no other explanation imho.
                Oracle certainly isn't, but you know, honestly I think that Microsoft sometimes really does, or at least comes close to that. If you have a sizeable MS installation and you threaten them with ditching Windows and Office for Linux and LibreOffice, they will do anything to keep you locked in at literally any cost. Particularly if you are a large public administration or government agency. I'm sure that the Munich city council and the French gendarmery could tell stories...

Comment

Working...
                X