Solaris 11.3 support is $1,000 per socket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solaris 11.3 support is $1,000 per socket

That's my biggest beef with Larry. He thinks I should pay $1,000 for one year of software support + patches for Solaris 11. But I'm just a home/hobbyist user in this case. As far as I know, there is no 'mild support' option that I could purchase, like a student/development license. At least red hat enterprise linux has some $49-$79-$299 options at the bottom of the stack.

I want Solaris 10/11, because it has support for USB 3.0. SATA 6Gbps seems basic, but Illumos/OI support is dodgy:

and looking AHEAD to Thunderbolt & M.2 at 10Gbps - Last time I looked at illumos, I didn't see it. last updated 6 months ago:

Look man, I loved Solaris - back when it was Sun. If I could BUY like an "Ultra 36 workstation" in 2015, I would. But there's no option. Basically Larry is like Seinfelds soup nazi 'NO SOUP FOR YOU'.

In the long run, there will be no new Solaris administrators. There will be no new talent, no new developers, no new ideas, no new ported applications. Apple and Windows and Dell and their ilk, they be TRYING to get their products in the hands of school children. What is the lesson of compliers? Give them away for FREE! That's how developers will try it and write code. Android SDK is free...

Solaris is like a shriveled vine now that bears no fruit.

You shouldn't pay 1000 dollars for usb3. it's like buying a usb3 pci card for 1000 dollars.

I hope that openindiana flourishes at some moment, solaris is a cool os.

Comment

This is what UNIX was like before GNU and FreeBSD came around, and its exactly why GNU and FreeBSD are so damn important projects. Don't just take them for granted. This isn't a PC. Its a true minicomputer, with the price tag to match its status.

This isn't a $20 dell poweredge with debian.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
        This is what UNIX was like before GNU and FreeBSD came around, and its exactly why GNU and FreeBSD are so damn important projects. Don't just take them for granted. This isn't a PC. Its a true minicomputer, with the price tag to match its status.

This isn't a $20 dell poweredge with debian.
        Sorta.. if you go way back they actually gave you the source with the OS tapes. Oracle isn't really Sun so I wouldn't expect any great things coming from Solaris anymore.. Solaris is dead, long live Illumos.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Sorta.. if you go way back they actually gave you the source with the OS tapes.
          Sure, but back then, they were selling hardware. That hardware was super expensive, and the people who ran it a small community of highly skilled engineers. Heck, they might give you the source, but what where you really gonna do with it?

Even when stallman first distributed GNU on tape, he sold the tapes for around $150, which is more than the total cost of a working dell poweredge 1950

Comment

Working...
          X