TERES-I DIY ARM 64-Bit Linux Laptop Released For 240 EUR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    As for the TERES-I: no offence intended, but they can go screw themselves. I'm sick of all Open-something projects using total shit Alwinner stuff, really, it's crap, stop using it.
    What SoC would you have them use that has mainline support and reversed \ open graphics? Besides, it has good market shaping value: Allwinner's hardware wouldn't sell at all without linux support. They know it and started focusing on FOSS as a result. Rockchip saw this and started focusing on mainlining too. This was two years ago. In recent months Qualcomm started realizing this seeing how well RK was doing in the Chromebooks and started mainlining too.

The dream solution would be for AMD to start offering small, separate graphics chips that can be placed on the PCIe lanes instead of SoCs like many basebands do. That will allow picking up any 2Ghz compute SoC with spare PCIe lanes and boarding it with FOSS graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
      Seriously... price....

And for less expensive you can get way more...

250$ CHUWI Lapbook 14.1 (https://www.banggood.com/CHUWI-Lapbo...m_content=1061)

Spec:
      Screen : 14.1" 1920x1080 IPS (You did not missread)
      CPU : Celeron N3450 (Quad core 2.2Ghz)
      RAM : 4GB DDR3L or 8GB if you choose option.
      Storage : 64GB eMMC (It does have a M.2 slot inside)
      USP 3.0 Ports
      Bluetooth, 2.0MP webcam
      Battery : 9000 mAh
      Review : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT2hiqYyllk
      That is OK if you want to run Windows on it... For Linux it is a different (showstopper) story: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
        What SoC would you have them use that has mainline support and reversed \ open graphics?
        Hypothetically? The one used in Dragonboard 410c (some snapdragon without modem), or better.

Realistically, an iMX6 (like the ones used in the wandboards) on a SoM (mini-motherboard with SoC + RAM + Flash + something else) mounted on a daughterboard, like Wandboards or others do.

Allwinner is used by everyone because it can be found in low quantities by chinese resellers (qualcomm's stuff is sold only in very large quantities, I don't know about SoMs but I don't think it is that bad, many companies in the opensource arena use them already), and I understand this, but seriously, if you sell it with an Opensource badge I expect it to not be only half-supported crap.

Comment

Originally posted by bszente View Post
          That is OK if you want to run Windows on it... For Linux it is a different (showstopper) story: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051
          That laptop has an Apollo lake SoC. The bug seems for Baytrail

Comment

That laptop has an Apollo lake SoC. The bug seems for Baytrail
            If your read through the almost ~900 comments (I did because I have one, I wasted my money once ) you will notice the bug is extremely complex, silicon bugs involved and Intel did not fixed it in 2 years for Linux. Nobody knows how this affect Silvermont successors (i.e. Apollo Lake). What I wanted to say, even if you buy an Intel Atom based laptop, you will have very bad support. Poor battery life, lot of issues with WiFi chips connected by SPI bus, issues with audio, etc. A lot of proprietary solutions, hence lack of drivers. Thing is, they are Windows only systems.

Unfortunately the Intel Atom based SoC line is kind-of second class citizen and has little to do with the mainstream Core i line.

Comment

Considering the outrageous shit hardware you can get from EU/US sellers for 250$, I'd say getting this thing with no warranty whatsoever is still VERY worth it.
              If you can live without warranty, definitely!
              I had a bad experience once. Never again...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                If you can live without warranty, definitely!
                I had a bad experience once. Never again...
                If I had to choose between this and some total shit netbook-like tablety thing at the same price point, sure I can. The risk of malfunction is low, and I can decrease losses by re-selling the parts on ebay or by re-purposing the object.

If we were talking of 500$+ device, then yeah I'd like to have a warranty too.

Comment

If I had to choose between this and some total shit netbook-like tablety thing at the same price point, sure I can. The risk of malfunction is low, and I can decrease losses by re-selling the parts on ebay or by re-purposing the object.

If we were talking of 500$+ device, then yeah I'd like to have a warranty too.
                  I guess that if you live in America where the minimum wage is high (or some other rich country), $250 is peanuts and your logic makes total sense.
                  For people like that live in a country where the minimum wage is €500, suddenly €250 is a very high risk...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                    I guess that if you live in America where the minimum wage is high (or some other rich country), $250 is peanuts and your logic makes total sense.
                    For people like that live in a country where the minimum wage is €500, suddenly €250 is a very high risk...
                    You're grossly overestimating the failure rates. It's still a low risk.

And as I said, for that price I'd still take that small risk over the 100% guarantee that the laptop I get with 250$ runs like total shit.

Comment

Is memory soldered or has SO-DIMM?

Comment

Working...
                      X