Librem 5 Smartphone Hits Its $1.5 Million Dollar Goal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

They have now a permission system to that allows to permit (or limit) applications access. That has been the case since Android 6. Sometimes when an app doesn't request for permission they crash (unless you give them permission in settings), but I think that all modern apps implement this now.
    https://developer.android.com/traini...equesting.html
    On my phone Google Maps will repeatedly request access to Location even if it's permanently denied. It does it so frequently that it hangs the application.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Maybe RPi hardware would have been better? RPi has free bootloader (WIP) and great free GL drivers (WIP).
      One thing is certain: the baseband will be a blob.

Comment

randomizer Well, Google Maps does depend on location for it's main features...... although I doubt that the act of requesting permission is causing the app to hang. Do you have any proof of that?

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
          randomizer Well, Google Maps does depend on location for it's main features...... although I doubt that the act of requesting permission is causing the app to hang. Do you have any proof of that?
          No, just an anecdote based on observed behaviour. As soon as I gave it the permission it so badly desired it started working normally (ie. bugging me to enable the location service). "Hang" is probably not the best term either. It was just unresponsive to input, and had a recurring unreadable message rapidly slide a few pixels up from the bottom before disappearing again.

Comment

Apps designed for older Android assumed permissions were always granted, they can misbehave or even crash if they are denied permissions and they issue system calls for the features that were denied.

So it seems Google Maps wasn't properly ported to the latest Android permission scheme.

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not the case for Google Maps. In my experience haven't faced such problems due to permissions. The lack of response could be due to a lot of reasons - one is Google Maps is doing something stupid like performing heavy operations on the UI thread, consuming large amounts of memory, or your device's version of Android is to blame (OEMs especially Samsung do shitty things that slow down your device a lot).

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not the case for Google Maps. In my experience haven't faced such problems due to permissions. The lack of response could be due to a lot of reasons - one is Google Maps is doing something stupid like performing heavy operations on the UI thread, consuming large amounts of memory, or your device's version of Android is to blame (OEMs especially Samsung do shitty things that slow down your device a lot).
                I wouldn't be so sure. People that actually know and decide to remove application permissions are a minority, and people that remove location permissions to GMaps (an app that obviously needs location access) instead of just disabling/disinstalling GMaps altogether are a minority of them.
                It might be a very low-importance bug for them.

Comment

Working...
                X