No announcement yet.

Radeon's Open-Source Linux GPU Driver Has Nearly Caught Up With Windows' Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were the windows results for OpenGL or Direct3D?

Comment

the best platform to play games should be just linux operating systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Kakarott View Post
        At least my monitor is telling me so
        On standard kernel it told me so Hz number I was running on. But with this kernel it is saying "FreeSync".
        I haven't set up anything specific. Just found:
        Code:
        $ cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu.conf
        Section "OutputClass"
        Identifier "AMDgpu"
        MatchDriver "amdgpu"
        Driver "amdgpu"
        EndSection
        Interesting, my monitor remains fixed at whatever frequency I set it. No indication Freesync is working at all.

Of course, I might not be using exactly the same staging kernel.. As I just grabbed Laurent Carlier's build from his mesa-git repo on Arch. Or maybe It's just not enabled on my gpu, I'm running a R9 270 after all.

Comment

Originally posted by bisby View Post
          I was wondering the same thing. Is this "Windows OpenGL vs Linux OpenGL" or "How you actually play in Windows vs How you actually play in Linux"
          The latter would be wholly unfair, since it would actually be a comparison of "Highly optimised game engine vs shoddy throwaway game engine port" for most titles. Same goes for NVIDIA.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Good to know, but if I would have bought a 480, I would have been waiting for almost a year now.
            Waiting for what?

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post

I am using an amd-staging-4.11 kernel also. Are you saying freesync works with the open source driver? If so how?? Tell me, tell me, tell me. :-P
              You need a patch for the ddx to detect fullscreen 3D apps and call the freesync ioctl to enable it. It's not upstream yet since freesync is not upstreamable as is.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

You need a patch for the ddx to detect fullscreen 3D apps and call the freesync ioctl to enable it. It's not upstream yet since freesync is not upstreamable as is.
                Oh! Shame. I was getting excited there for a minute. Can't wait to test Freesync.

Also, I was wondering if Radeon Chill or another type of frame rate limiter will be coming to Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Kakarott View Post
                  Hi. I'm running my RX480 on agd5f amd-staging-4.11. Works fine so far. Yeah! for freesync and DPAudio
                  I'm eying Freesync monitors currently and I would be interested in your opinion of Freesync support on Linux.
                  Specifically : doest it support LFC (Low Framerate Compensation)?
                  Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
                    Also, I was wondering if Radeon Chill or another type of frame rate limiter will be coming to Linux?
                    Radeon Chill is not just frame limiter... basic extern limiter (if game xyz already does not have its own feature for that) is probably easy to do, i heard some people use this strangle:

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

So the instruction given for the proprietary driver won't work? ie. xrandr --output DisplayPort-# --set "freesync" 1 ?
                      Seems I compiled your git kernel for nothing then

Comment

Working...
                      X