Feral Announces Requirements For Dawn of War III On Linux With OpenGL & Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Archlinux + lcarlier repo + amd-staging kernel(included on repo) + edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and in modules add amdgpu(before install so pacman generate the proper images)

Voila RADV fully working, enjoy
    Why do you add amdgpu to modules in mkinitcpio.conf? It doesn't seem to provide anything really needed.
    But even with that, my system crashes on any vulkan app so it's definitely not fully working :'/

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Why do you add amdgpu to modules in mkinitcpio.conf? It doesn't seem to provide anything really needed.
      But even with that, my system crashes on any vulkan app so it's definitely not fully working :'/
      There are 2 kernel drivers:

1.) Radeon: GCN 1.0 and 1.1 support
      2.) AMDGPU: GCN 1.2 with experimental support for GCN 1.0 and 1.1

So basically radeon is the original driver and it doesn't support vulkan, rOCm, newer GPUs versions, etc. but it is default in the load order, so to use AMDGPU you need to tell mkinitcpio to force load it before radeon can load.(mkinitcpio generates de initrd file for booting)

so, if you add amdgpu to modules in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and run afterwards mkinitcpio -p linux-zen you should see this (check with dmesg | grep amdgpu) after reboot

[drm] Initialized amdgpu 3.1X.0 20150101 for 0000:00:01.0 on minor 0

instead of radeon

[drm] Initialized radeon 2.48.0 20130101 for 0000:00:01.0 on minor 0

once amdgpu is active radv should work, it does for me in a TAHITI GPU(GCN 1.0) and pass all examples i could find like a boss, if not please open a bug report so the dev know something is broken with your specific GPU

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

There are 2 kernel drivers:

1.) Radeon: GCN 1.0 and 1.1 support
        2.) AMDGPU: GCN 1.2 with experimental support for GCN 1.0 and 1.1

So basically radeon is the original driver and it doesn't support vulkan, rOCm, newer GPUs versions, etc. but it is default in the load order, so to use AMDGPU you need to tell mkinitcpio to force load it before radeon can load.(mkinitcpio generates de initrd file for booting)

so, if you add amdgpu to modules in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and run afterwards mkinitcpio -p linux-zen you should see this (check with dmesg | grep amdgpu) after reboot

[drm] Initialized amdgpu 3.1X.0 20150101 for 0000:00:01.0 on minor 0

instead of radeon

[drm] Initialized radeon 2.48.0 20130101 for 0000:00:01.0 on minor 0

once amdgpu is active radv should work, it does for me in a TAHITI GPU(GCN 1.0) and pass all examples i could find like a boss, if not please open a bug report so the dev know something is broken with your specific GPU
        You don't need to do that, you can blacklist radeon and it'll work just as well to load amdgpu.
        As for the rest, it's strange I also have a tahiti card :/

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

You don't need to do that, you can blacklist radeon and it'll work just as well to load amdgpu.
          As for the rest, it's strange I also have a tahiti card :/
          true, i prefer mkinitcpio tho

My card is rebranded HD 7950(R9-280 sapphire Vapor X)

Comment

I have a 280X and I'm bisecting the issue right now

Comment

Working...
            X