No announcement yet.

Android O Developer Preview Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if "better keyboard navigation " could include a decent POSIX-like shell.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Also I'm pretty sure you can just avoid logging in with Google on first boot with Android 4.0 to 5.0 (later didn't test).
      Yes, you can. I can't remember the details, but it's something like "tap the corners of the screen in a certain order to quit the fullscreen 'Ok, now sign into Google' wizard."

Comment

Android always supported keyboards and mice, this is just a "better navigation with keyboard" update.
        I have a keyboard for my android tablet and use it to write javascript, used to use it to write c++. Couldn't ever get a c++ compiler to work on that tablet. Javascript runs in the browser of course. Could probably have gotten node to run.

There is already F-Droid appstore for FOSS apps, and you don't want to compile apps, nor run ADS on weak devices like phones and tablets.
        Any phone or tablet you can buy today has more memory and cpu than developer's computers had 15 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by eigenlambda View Post
          Any phone or tablet you can buy today has more memory and cpu than developer's computers had 15 years ago.
          And the apps considered normal today require quite a bit more than what it was normal 15 years ago, so my point still stands.

Comment

Most Android devices allow you to install applications you downloaded manually by enabling a setting, afaik Amazon devices should also allow this. http://www.androidauthority.com/how-...le-fire-35976/
            Yeap, but that requires sideloading. You have to manually download some APK, disable some security settings, install it, only to be able to install actual apps. How about just `apt-get install foo`?

Wat? Vanilla CM does not come with Google Apps by default so you did something wrong somewhere. Maybe you downloaded an unofficial CM with Gapps preinstalled (most common on XDA)?

Also I'm pretty sure you can just avoid logging in with Google on first boot with Android 4.0 to 5.0 (later didn't test).

Too much easy things were done wrong, I suspect malicious intent here.
            Nope. Stock CM doesn't come with anything and you don't need to log into Google; but that's not the point, the above is. You have to jump through hoops just to install an app that you need, and a regular user would never be able to do that. Not to mention that third party app stores are not always trustworthy and don't have a lot of things, plus may not update apps as quickly (if at all). If the user will need Skype, and it's only available on the Google and Amazon stores, then there's no way to get it aside from dodgy APK download sites that serve static unupdatable APKs.

Comment

Working...
            X