OpenSUSE Tablet Project Fails, Less Than $7k In Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Space Beer View Post
    Linux tablet has no chance to succeed until linux desktop succeeds. Having in mind issues regarding wifi/network, graphics (acceleration), multimedia support, external (multi) monitor setup, ease of use, etc. I don't think it will be anytime soon.

Article outlying the critical components required for the perfect Linux desktop, focusing on hardware and software lifecycle and support, cost, ownership, applications, desktop integration, the future, and more

Second article discussing the alarming, rising trend in the lack of acceptance of criticism and feedback on technological issues in the Linux community, most notably the clear trend of deterioration in quality across the majority of distributions in recent years

We have android/iOS tablets used mostly for fun (mobile games, multimedia) and windows tablets that could be used for more serious office/work tasks (Surface Pro). I don't see where linux tablet would fit in this market, though I would be happy to have one.
    I'm always skeptical of these users having totally broken user experiences with ubuntu based images. I carry a live usb stick with me and out of ~100 random computers one laptop didn't work 100% because my distro was a bit dated and it was a new laptop and a dell that had issues with the live session when downloading packages would cause it to refuse to read the usb image. Once installed it worked fine.

I have had desktop environment bugs with kde. Sticking to a stable desktop is important in linux.

Comment

Very misleading subject line. What is this? /.?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        funding like this will never work. The masses just want shit that works and at a good price.
        Especially considering that many people including myself that liked the idea of crowdfunding at first have been burned badly. I for one got burned on a 3d printer. Not doing any significant crowdfunding again - probably going to remain true forever for me.

Comment

Linux tablet has no chance to succeed until linux desktop succeeds. Having in mind issues regarding wifi/network, graphics (acceleration), multimedia support, external (multi) monitor setup, ease of use, etc. I don't think it will be anytime soon.
          If you are a manufacturer and want to propose a Linux tablet you select components that works fine under Linux and not random stuff.
          So basically your 1st point is invalid.

Concerning multimedia support I disagree, since years Linux can read any multimedia format out of the box. But maybe you can provide an example?
          Ease of use... Ubuntu and Opensuse are adapted to tablet I do not see your point.
          External multi monitor set-up : I do not know any tablet that can achieve that. iPad?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            FYI: These tablets worked fine (just like any other intel-based UEFI tablet anyway) and had a very competitive price.
            Competitive price is around 100$/€ nowadays... I know it seems low but the market moved to those prices and anything more than 200$/€ is now in medium range price tag.

Comment

I am using $200 Windows 10 tablet (Atom, 2GB RAM) and can't see how linux could offer the same ease of use, when I compare it to my desktop PC with openSUSE (Tumbleweed, KDE)

Windows 10 is already easier to use on (small) touchscreens even without activating tablet mode. Its Action center and start menu are great for this purpose. On-screen keyboard behavior is also better in my opinion. As I know there is no easy tablet-desktop switch in popular DEs, though most of them can be configured for easier use on tablets.

Regarding multiple screens - I offen connect tablet (HDMI) to my TV to watch movies, it is also posible to connect monitor, keyboard and mouse and use it as a regular PC. Multi monitor setup on openSUSE is not that good, ie. it takes little bit more effort to switch from one screen to another (comparing to Win+P menu). It is totally ok for me, but tablets are for kids and regular users.

MS has also made some great apps optimized for (small) touchscrens such as Edge, Movies (with default hardware acc.) , Mail... using Kontact on 10" tablet will not be so convenient I couldn't play all multimedia files after openSUSE installation, I had to install additional stuff. There are also lot of good 3rd party UWP apps. so user can choose if he wants to use desktop or UWP app for dropbox, viber... or both, depending on inputs (touchsceen vs keyboard+mouse).

There's a lot of work for someone wants to make good linux tablet, and even after that, I'm not sure people would go for it, unless they really want linux. And that's around 2% of market.
              Last edited by Space Beer; 11 January 2017, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                Competitive price is around 100$/€ nowadays... I know it seems low but the market moved to those prices and anything more than 200$/€ is now in medium range price tag.
                FYI: "competitive" depends from the offered features. These tablets weren't offering features common in 100$ devices.

Besides, as I also said in the thread about these tablets some time ago, people looking for 100$ tablets buy random crap they find at Wallmart or on aliexpress/ebay/amazon/whatever.

Comment

I am using $200 Windows 10 tablet (Atom, 2GB RAM) and can't see how linux could offer the same ease of use, when I compare it to my desktop PC with openSUSE (Tumbleweed, KDE)
                  Yeah, because Win10 or even mac isn't also on par or better on the desktop, as far as functionality goes.

Comment

I'm not saying I need tablet for CAD, CFD or something. I was talking about usability when it comes to simple things like multimedia, office, fun... Hardware is not that important, it's the user experience what matters the most in this segment

Comment

Seems like Win 10 suits perfectly to your use. The only advantage of Linux would be to save (20$?) on the bill.

Comment

Working...
                      X