Lineage: Forking CyanogenMod To A New Android Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

In all fairness GIMP would be a better comparison, to me Lineage = Of the Loins (nutsack) -- yeah sorry that analogy works too well, oh well. at least it's not called L.I.M.P.

Luminescent Image Merge Program :P
    Sorry, I still don't get it. How does lineage relate to "of the loins" or nutsack in any way? Could it be you don't know what the word lineage means?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It happened what I said from the beginning (and people mocked me): they had no business case. Without the ability to control/supply device drivers, all they could do was lipstick on a pig.
      This is precisely the case. There were too much device-specific binary device drivers and display driver libraries being shipped. Cyanogenmod had no control over that. They just put an android distribution over it.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

In all fairness GIMP would be a better comparison, to me Lineage = Of the Loins (nutsack) -- yeah sorry that analogy works too well, oh well. at least it's not called L.I.M.P.

Luminescent Image Merge Program :P
        lin·e·age n
        1. direct descent from an ancestor, esp a line of descendants from one ancestor

2. a less common word for derivation

Nothing to do with loins or nutsack. Its a line of descendants. It's not an uncommon word, and it's not an offensive word. It is referring to the fact that the original cyanogenmod (before Cyanogen Inc) is a direct ancestor. Getting back to the roots.

Comment

Originally posted by edgar444 View Post
          Linage? I remember that! It's a NCsoft MMO Game were talkin' about, right? ^^ The one that turned bad.
          Do you mean really bad ? Which is really a sad I liked this game very much.

I find that the end of cyanogen is really a shame, for example take a Samsung smartphone having Samsung overlay is really a pain to use (don't even remember the name of this s..). I would immediately put a AOSP or Cyanogen ROM on it.

The fact that this will be harder to do in the future without Cyanogen will change the way I choose a smartphone, I already try to buy brand having the more vanilla android

Comment

Let's hope the current Cyanogenmod community is decent enough to pull the Lineage project same (possibly better) than Cyanogen did, or I'm really, really, REALLY, REALLY forced to consider hopping on Winphone (mostly because using a plain cellphone is unacceptable socially due to watsapp, telegram, whatever the fuck).

I was already to the brink of doing so a year ago, only Cyanogenmod stopped me.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Let's hope the current Cyanogenmod community is decent enough to pull the Lineage project same (possibly better) than Cyanogen did, or I'm really, really, REALLY, REALLY forced to consider hopping on Winphone (mostly because using a plain cellphone is unacceptable socially due to watsapp, telegram, whatever the fuck).

I was already to the brink of doing so a year ago, only Cyanogenmod stopped me.
              Why a windows phone ?

Comment

People hate apple with a passion so it's probably the only thing left. :P

Comment

Originally posted by alokhan View Post

Why a windows phone ?
                  Insane, oblivious or troll.

(Ex WP and ex CM user)

Comment

Windows mobile 6, maybe then? HP IPAQ It ain't a Windows Phone... its more *mobile*...

Comment

This kinda sucks and I think they partly brought this on themselves but the big positive to come out of this is that it will now feel like a proper community project instead of one that possibly harboured hidden commercial agendas. I'm not sure about the name either though.

Comment

Working...
                      X