Apple's 2016 MacBook Pro & Linux Don't Mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
    The door is open if some wants to write drivers for it.
    You mean Apple actually provides technical specifications for their hardware ?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Heh, i hoped to see some results of that low watt RX 460... revision ef
      Yeah, as that's the interesting part in there. Not the pseudo touchscreen, all the soldered parts etc.

Comment

Originally posted by hugo8621 View Post

because they are the LAST vendor that offers a 16:10 screen! Am I the only one who misses vertical space at a 13" 16:9 laptop?
        Gotta like it 100x!

MS Surface is 16/10 too BTW but you cannot run Linux on it neither...

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

probaly because 16:10 are stupid, we don't need more vertical space but more horizontal we scroll things from up to down not from left to right
          God. Give me the strengh to believe this is irony. Please God.

Comment

Apple is real shit. Just bought a dell xps 13 with kaby lake processor.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

It's a fuckton of bandwith, back then you had what, miniPCIe which was a x1 PCIe 1.0? Also Expresscards. NEVER FORGET EXPRESSCARDS.
              4x PCIe 2.0 as well.
              ExpressCard 2.0 (2009+) looks actually to have usable performance but have yet to see any laptop with 2.0 slot. Waste of space compared to USB connectors

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                4x PCIe 2.0 as well.
                Ummm, yeah, keep dreaming. http://pinoutguide.com/Slots/mini_pcie_pinout.shtml https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Ex...ress_Mini_Card
                It theoretically has contacts for a second Pcie lane but I've never ever seen them connected in laptops, so it is one lane physically, period.

I said 1.0 because at the times the controller in the laptop was 99% likely 1.0, nowadays it could be 2.0 or even 3.0 too.... hmmm.... Need to do some tests with my laptop, it's from 2013, it should have a 2.0 controller at least.
                But considering that 99.999% of wifi cards don't saturate pcie 1.0, I doubt they allow the port to support more than that, due to power budget or for limiting the expandability or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Ummm, yeah, keep dreaming. http://pinoutguide.com/Slots/mini_pcie_pinout.shtml https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Ex...ress_Mini_Card
                  It theoretically has contacts for a second Pcie lane but I've never ever seen them connected in laptops, so it is one lane physically, period.

I said 1.0 because at the times the controller in the laptop was 99% likely 1.0, nowadays it could be 2.0 or even 3.0 too.... hmmm.... Need to do some tests with my laptop, it's from 2013, it should have a 2.0 controller at least.
                  But considering that 99.999% of wifi cards don't saturate pcie 1.0, I doubt they allow the port to support more than that, due to power budget or for limiting the expandability or whatever.
                  Okay, you appear to be correct.

One of my laptops reported "4x Mini-PCIe" in dmesg some months a go. But I could neither remember which OS I was playing with at the time nor which exact machine and after couple of days, I gave up trying reproduce it.

Comment

ppb0 at pci0 dev 3 function 0: vendor 0x1022 product 0x1708 (rev. 0x00)
                    ppb0: PCI Express capability version 2 <Root Port of PCI-E Root Complex> x8 @ 2.5GT/s
                    pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
                    pci1: i/o space, memory space enabled, rd/line, wr/inv ok
                    radeon1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: vendor 0x1002 product 0x6741 (rev. 0x00)
                    ppb1 at pci0 dev 4 function 0: vendor 0x1022 product 0x1709 (rev. 0x00)
                    ppb1: PCI Express capability version 2 <Root Port of PCI-E Root Complex> x1 @ 2.5GT/s
                    pci2 at ppb1 bus 2
                    pci2: i/o space, memory space enabled, rd/line, wr/inv ok
                    How would you parse it? x8 with each lane 2,5GT/s or as 2,5GT/s summed up?
                    portion of boot log from NetBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                      How would you parse it? x8 with each lane 2,5GT/s or as 2,5GT/s summed up?
                      Now that's weird.
                      It says PCI Express (blah blah) version 2 on both, so it should theoretically be able to run as 5 GT per lane.

I'm 100% sure that the card in the minipcie slot is a pcie 1.0 controller itself because there is no sane reason for it to have a more powerful pcie controller onboard, so the 2.5 GT per lane will mean that the card is running at PCIe 1.0, as the 1.0 runs at 2.5 per lane.

For the GPU I don't know, maybe that GPU has only PCIE 1.0 controller onboard so it is running at 2.5 per lane too?

Or maybe it's just nonsense as the kernel didn't read stuff right somehow.

Anyway, my laptop's output of lspci -vv (only relevant parts are shown, it dumps a TON of text):

Capabilities: [70] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
                      LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <4us, L1 <64us
                      LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
                      LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 2.5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-

In my desktop PC where I know there is a 2.0 x1 port and I know the card in it is a 2.0 x1 card (a NEC usb 3.0 controller) it says

Capabilities: [40] Express (v2) Root Port (Slot+), MSI 00
                      LnkCap: Port #8, Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <512ns, L1 <4us
                      LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive+ BWMgmt+ ABWMgmt-
                      LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-

By reading this, LnkCap is the port's max speed, so my laptop has a 1.0 x1 port even if the APU in it has a pcie 2.0 controller, maybe it is set by board firmware (in the sense that the board firmware sets that on boot and I can't change it)?

You might want to run lspci -vv on your system as that tool should be on BSDs too.
                      Last edited by starshipeleven; 26 December 2016, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X