No announcement yet.

Splashtop on USB stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the problem is, when you use the DFI file, you have to remove the header - that means the first 48 bytes. Try this:

Code:
    dd if=FILE_WITH_HEADER.IMG of=FILE.IMG bs=48 skip=1

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Well the problem is, when you use the DFI file, you have to remove the header - that means the first 48 bytes. Try this:

Code:
      dd if=FILE_WITH_HEADER.IMG of=FILE.IMG bs=48 skip=1
      Worked like a charm. Thanks again Kano!

Comment

When I first booted off my usb drive it said it couldnt find ce_bz, so I changed the syslinux.cfg from

default /ce_bz
        to
        default ce_bz

and it now works just fine in my Dell gx620

Comment

Syslinux 3.61 needed the /. What version do you use?

Comment

I have version 3.31

Comment

Sorry, I'm an absolute noob here.
              I'm just wondering if there's anyway to do all this on Windows, or do I need to get to a Linux box? I see mention of the Windows installer, but I'm pretty sure this is referring to the installer available on ASUS' site, and using the contents of that installer in Linux, correct?

Comment

Nope, it is possible to use the exe installer inside Win. All you need to do is to add a bootloader to your win install. For XP this is easy, but just found a scripted way for V too. I only have to update it a bit...

Comment

Hmmm... I'm still lost...
                  Perhaps I should wait until when/if the process is made easier

Comment

Hi Guy's

Been playing with this all morning and still can't get it to work.
                    Kinda a linux noob so please excuse my ignorance

i've used image "ST_ASUSEG00_256MB_v1.2.3.1_20080605.IMG".
                    all seemed to be going really well until i tried to actually boot it up lol .. all i get is a flashing screen after syslinux loads ce_bz

Thanks in advance for any help with this
                    Last edited by Valen; 04 August 2008, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Well you can try it in Vbox too, when it does not boot on your hardware. The ce seems to work on more hardware, as it is no "real" kernel, it just chainloads a kernel later (the kernel.bin, could not extract that, maybe somebody else can do). This kernel is optimized for Pentium 4 - that means when you can already click on the app you want to launch and it does not work it can also be because of that cpu optimisation. Maybe somebody finds an image for older cpus...

Comment

Working...
                      X