No announcement yet.

Hacking Express gate (Asus Splashtop)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, cool fact. You can use the latest HDD installer to create a DFI file for your SSD install.
    Will post detailed instructions in the tutorial, basically involves doing a network install of the HDD version to a folder on your HDD, then copy those files into the working directory for my script and then compress into a DFI again. Works a treat

(Weisshund, there seems to be a problem with your server, I can download about half of the Firefox file before it fails and waits +1 hour before attempting it again)

Comment

• Originally posted by SPARTAN View Post
      Oh, cool fact. You can use the latest HDD installer to create a DFI file for your SSD install.
      Will post detailed instructions in the tutorial, basically involves doing a network install of the HDD version to a folder on your HDD, then copy those files into the working directory for my script and then compress into a DFI again. Works a treat

(Weisshund, there seems to be a problem with your server, I can download about half of the Firefox file before it fails and waits +1 hour before attempting it again)
      I have to reupload firefox, seems the upload went bad or something.
      I dont see Songbird either, will check into that ASAP

I tried removing the base firefox totaly.
      No go says install is corrupt
      Tried replacing it with my FIrefox
      No go same thing, must be looking at a checksum on the sqx file or something.
      Cant even edit the sqx or it says install incomplete or corrupt.

But i did find i can remove thier Firefox from the desktop after booting
      be deleting its virtual .desktop file
      So im going to see if i can make my firefox overwrite thiers
      If that works i am going to see if i can make my firefox load ontop of thiers or append it.

that will atleast remove a redundant item from the desktop.
      Doesnt help me with filesize though, but maybe you know something about bypassing the checksum or what not?

Going to go see what the heck happened to my firefox and songbird upload

Comment

• Yeah, they were there to start with but dissapeared soon after I tried to download them (8:00Z).

Yeah, that is a checksum stored in the "version" file in the base directory of SplashTop. I have an app to create a new one however I think I am writing it incorrectly because I get the same problem. Will try to get that fixed ASAP.

Yeah, that makes sense, I guess you could also remove the actual FF files after booting for a bit of a RAM usage improvement.

Let me look into it, if I can get my app working properly then I should have that issue fixed and we will be able to generate our own signed SplashTop images

Yeah, very strange...got the others tho, haven't had a chance to test them yet.

Also, busy downloading v1.5.22.5 of ExpressGate, gonna create an image of that for my motherboard, some cool new features in it

Comment

• Right, figured out why my app was bombing out when generating the new version files. Reason was that the layout was not as straightforward as I originally thought.

Here is the new layout:

[UTF8:16] Company Name
          [UTF8:8] Date (yyyyMMdd)
          [BYTE] Major Version
          [BYTE] Minor Version
          [BYTE] Build
          [BYTE] Revision
          [INT32] Magic (0x75)
          (foreach file)
          {
          [UTF8:32] File Name
          [UTF8:8] Date
          [INT32] Magic (See below)
          [BYTE:4] Padding (00 00 00 00)
          [INT32] File Size
          [BYTE:12] Padding (00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00)
          [BYTE:16] MD5SUM
          }

File Magic NUmbers:
          *.dat: 0x5
          *.date: 0x5
          *.md5: 0x5
          kernel.bin 0x2
          *.sqx: 0x3
          *.bin: 0x6
          *.idx: 0x6

Will compile a new version in Mono and upload it to my website, should fix our problems

Comment

Yeah, they were there to start with but dissapeared soon after I tried to download them (8:00Z).

Yeah, that is a checksum stored in the "version" file in the base directory of SplashTop. I have an app to create a new one however I think I am writing it incorrectly because I get the same problem. Will try to get that fixed ASAP.

Yeah, that makes sense, I guess you could also remove the actual FF files after booting for a bit of a RAM usage improvement.

Let me look into it, if I can get my app working properly then I should have that issue fixed and we will be able to generate our own signed SplashTop images

Yeah, very strange...got the others tho, haven't had a chance to test them yet.

Also, busy downloading v1.5.22.5 of ExpressGate, gonna create an image of that for my motherboard, some cool new features in it
            Ok files re-uploaded and verified in place.
            Host might have been in maint cycle when i uploaded them prior
            Eh its free hosting so.....

Where did you find 1.5?
            Must be SDD only?
            Wonder if its possible to make an HDD build from the SDD?

Have to fix a car, but maybe later tonight i can try to see if i can make my firefox eat the splashtop firefox during the files system mounting.
            Just have to fudge the directories to mirror those of Cripplefox's
            least in theory.

I'll be waiting to see how your app works, if it works, that will really allow us to do some heavy modding of splashtop.
            Remove broken things, add new stuff without bloating the base install, and even repack some things lighter, i notice the splashtop guys have alot of redundant things in there, in thier effort to lockdown or cripple the system.
            I counted 4 firefox executables, each one used to do something different.
            Like splashtop games is one crippled FF, the splashtop help has a separate crippled FF binary, when the entire thing could have been handled by one uncrippled FF.

On a sad note, i checked out a dev version of puppylinux off of woof.
            under 200mb WITH open office.
            Boots from a USB drive etc, almost as fast a boot as splashtop and more functional.

If they can do that for free, splashtop who is getting paid, should be able to at least match function and usability in the same space.
            Also, the puppylinux had a feature where it mounts a small virtual file system that can save changes between boots. Save in the same location as the OS itself lives, so when the compressed system shuts down and dismounts its pieces, the things you saved on it are packed up with it.
            No need for external file access to save bookmarks settings etc.

Oh i found the file manage, its called..........
            Wait for it...........

filemanager

so just make a .desktop file for it and POOF, its on your taskbar USB or not.

Comment

• I just realised, try exporting DI_HAVE_FILEMANAGER_DOCKICON='yes'
              Should enable the dock icon without having to create another .desktop file (they already have one)

The 1.5.22.5 is a HDD installer, I have got a way to convert that to SSD (latest SSD version is 1.4.10.8). ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/...pVistaWin7.zip

BTW, was busy downloading FF and Songbird again and your server died at about 60% again...maybe a server limitation? If you e-mail them to me I will post them on my website (proper hosting :P)

Comment

I just realised, try exporting DI_HAVE_FILEMANAGER_DOCKICON='yes'
                Should enable the dock icon without having to create another .desktop file (they already have one)

The 1.5.22.5 is a HDD installer, I have got a way to convert that to SSD (latest SSD version is 1.4.10.8). ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/...pVistaWin7.zip

BTW, was busy downloading FF and Songbird again and your server died at about 60% again...maybe a server limitation? If you e-mail them to me I will post them on my website (proper hosting :P)
                not sure i can email a file that size
                i did test download them with ftp thought.
                seems larger files dont like to http Xfer, id have to ask the servers admin about that.
                ftp worked fine though, even let me resume when i killed the connection

Might look at the 1.5 too and see if it adds or does anything more useful or better.

Comment

• Good gravy, ASUS ftp is the most sluggish thing isnt it.
                  20k speed at best.

Comment

• Strange, never managed to get FTP to work, managed to download the files this morning though, will upload them later today.

LOL, I wouldn't know, my ADSL line is limited to 38KB/s

Okay, looks like v1.5.22.5 uses squashfs-tools 4.0; which would make the life of people editing it a bit easier.
                    Also found out that removing any application that appears on the launch page will cause SplashTop to break. (Skype in my case).
                    I can try and see if modifying the launch page's file is possible (and see if I can work out the file structure) and if that works we could have a very useful tool.

The new DVM-Version app does seem to work perfectly, which is a huge relief. Makes my life a whole bunch easier.

Also, it appears that 1.5.22.5 has removed a whole bunch of the cripple* stuff, or at least hidden it better. Seems to be less redundancy as well which is encouraging.
                    (File Size is larger though due to new apps)

I also want to see if I can get Pidgin 2.6.6 working to replace 2.5.2; would be awesome if that were the case

Comment

Strange, never managed to get FTP to work, managed to download the files this morning though, will upload them later today.

LOL, I wouldn't know, my ADSL line is limited to 38KB/s

Okay, looks like v1.5.22.5 uses squashfs-tools 4.0; which would make the life of people editing it a bit easier.
                      Also found out that removing any application that appears on the launch page will cause SplashTop to break. (Skype in my case).
                      I can try and see if modifying the launch page's file is possible (and see if I can work out the file structure) and if that works we could have a very useful tool.

The new DVM-Version app does seem to work perfectly, which is a huge relief. Makes my life a whole bunch easier.

Also, it appears that 1.5.22.5 has removed a whole bunch of the cripple* stuff, or at least hidden it better. Seems to be less redundancy as well which is encouraging.
                      (File Size is larger though due to new apps)

I also want to see if I can get Pidgin 2.6.6 working to replace 2.5.2; would be awesome if that were the case
                      SOrry i am a retard, i dont have anonymous ftp, thats only on paying accounts.
                      Wonder if the change to squash 4.0 will break my already squashed apps?
                      guess we will see, booting it up now.

pidgin uncrippled would be nice, it is also an irc client normaly.

Comment

Working...
                      X