No announcement yet.

Hacking Express gate (Asus Splashtop)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok, making own packages prevents people who don't know what they are doing from adding packages / if you don't know how you can't add apps

i think we don't need 1-click-magic but prebuild sqx packages witch you can copy'n'paste would be great..^^

Comment

• but they will need to make their RECOVERY hidden partition visible first.

Okay, so what do we need ? We have xterm, i think we also need Midnight commander. b3nz0l, could you take care of it ?

Comment

• ok, this will be different for everyone.. i think as i bought my notebook ExG was installed on the Vista partition.. and its not absolutely necessary to set the partition unhidden as (at least in my case) linux is able to mount it anyway, only MS users will have to unhide it in order to modify/add packages

as i haven't made any changes to my ExG installation i first have to try a little bit to get along with this... additional i'm pretty new to the "world of linux" so i have to research and read a lot.... i will take time but i'll try
        any help is welcomed...

Comment

• Oh... okay. I thought about this thread as guru-lounge, and considered myself newb. It turns out that it's not only me who's new to all of it.

Comment

• @SynchronE

Linux does not interest the id, nothing needs to be unhidden to access. Usually ST installs to a normal Win partition, but it seems to like hidden partitions too. It can boot from ntfs or fat, the uuid is defined in the splash.idx file on hd - that file may NOT exist on ssd/usb.

Comment

• I mean for user to place a file to ASUS.SYS. He needs somehow to get access to it, while my n10j shipped with ExG installed on hidden partition named RECOVERY. So i thought it was common practice to install it there...

Comment

• what if we had some kind of script that can be executed in the running ExG where you can put in the app packages (maybe directly from a repo) and it converts, squashes and stores the packages in asus.sys folder
                then you only have to restart ExG...

did you notice http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15047 ?

he creates new entries in the rmenu that appears when you right-click your splashtop desktop... i can imagine this could be easier than placing new items in the launch bar...
                Last edited by b3nz0l; 29 October 2009, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• I'm not getting, why do we need all of this hacking stuff, whereas we can just place icon in the launchbar and files to filesystem by adding new .sqx files ...it's kind of easy.

Comment

• @Kano

Do you have answer to my question in post #124 please? http://phoronix.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=124
                    Thank you.

Comment

• I find the ExpressGate/SplashTop Linux Distros rather marginal, awkward, and limited -- especially for their intended platforms. Distros like Slax (which also uses SquashFS), and Moblin (which has some sort of partnership and/or has coded used by SplashTop) would be a lot more functional flavors of Linux.

There's some indication that Darkstar2000 was making progress at booting his preferred Linux using the fast boot capability SplashTop/Expressgate offers, but some of the details went over my head... Just wondering if anyone else has made any progress at using Splash/Gate to fast boot an alternative Linux Distro?

Comment

Working...
                      X