No announcement yet.

The Lenovo T450s Is Working Beautifully With Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to read things but after seeing the screenshots all i could think of was that that's an ugly docker and as an kde user i find it strange that the look of an kde desktop could hurt my eyes.

Comment

Now that you mention it, it's indeed a copy of the flat OS X yosemite theme, I find it bad-looking too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        I tried to read things but after seeing the screenshots all i could think of was that that's an ugly docker and as an kde user i find it strange that the look of an kde desktop could hurt my eyes.
        Ignore the desktop theme :P I'm still playing around the theme and trying to figure out what looks the best to me.

Right now (since this article got posted) I've got a dark theme on everything. It seems to be a little easier on my eyes & helps me focus more, but we'll see. The theme in the screenshots i included was just the default Fedora theme. They went for a grey-tone this release. I don't know if Fedora was trying to copy the 'flat' Yosemite look or if it just sort-of happened. The only part of the mac look that I try to copy are: half decent icons (thank you Numix), and a dock because I like having that quick-access.

As far as the docker... That's Docky. I'm still trying to settle on a decent dock.

AWN's no longer maintained. Plank has no configuration options. Cairo-Dock is overkill and has waaaay too many configuration options available by default. Docky crashes from time to time but it seems to be the only one that is still maintained and has a decent config panel.

Someone said that Plasma 2 has a dock option when you add a new panel, but we'll see.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by lovenemesis View Post
          Hi Eric,

Did you have problem with KVM?

For some reason, Lenovo disabled all visualization extension bits on my Flex 2 14D so that I cannot even use KVM.
          Always a red warning in 'dmesg' saying it was disabled by bios.
          Can you "dmesg | grep " the warning? Pretty sure I had a bios option for virtualization but i'll double check when I get the chance.

Comment

Hi Eric,

For some reason, Lenovo disabled all visualization extension bits on my Flex 2 14D so that I cannot even use KVM.

I think, but quite possibly I'm wrong, that some BIOSes get unhappy enabling virtualisation with various combinations of enabling trusted boot and TPM modules. Might be worth checking for VTx and VTd enabled in the BIOS isn't clashing - turn them off, power cycle, turn them back on and see if there's a warning?

Comment

here's a link to ark.intel comparing the old and new system's CPU:

Comment

Hi Eric,

Seems to be working, I get a lot of dmesg messages about "KVM enabled, KVM Disabled" over and over and over, BUT virt-manager seems to be working and grepping cpuinfo reports 'vmx' is allowed for my CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
                  Pro Tip:

If you have a M2 SSD in the laptop and you use it under Linux, then be _very_ _very_ careful when doing a BIOS update: the update will change/reset the setting for how the M2 SSD is used.
                  A reboot after the update will wipe the M2 SSD!
                  So immediately go into the BIOS settings on the first reboot after the update and fix the setting.

(this happened on several occasions for me on my T440s)

thanks for your infomation. It is very useful for me.

yasurs

Buy the popular mobile phone, tablet pcs, cell phone accessories and arduino gadgets etc at a big discount and free shipping.

Comment

Hey!

I just wanted to share my current experience on the t450s with Linux.
                    I have the nvidia one actually with the nvidia 940M.
                    The overall laptop is great (switching from a t430 after testing a 440).

I tried to install Fedora 22 on it. I first experienced some issues with an unstable wifi (known bug in kernel 4.0.x) (intel 7265), upgrading the firmware (2.25 to 2.17) solved the problem (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1202930) and run the update (kernel 4.1.5 actually).

The only major problem I have is with the Nvidia card and optimus. I wanted to set the Nvidia as primary card or at least use bumblebee.
                    The card is identified ad 3D adapter and the intel as VGA one out of the box. I did not succeed yet to use my nvidia. To make it short,
                    When I'm installing the nvidia drivers or the drivers with rpmfusion, the nouveau driver crashed. After removing the nouveau driver (blacklist and new boot img), the problem persists.
                    I tried bumblebee, installation OK, when I run an optirun command, it crashes. Unable to find the device.

I tested on F22 kernel 4.0 and 4.1.5, F23 alpha, not working at all this nvidia optirun.
                    I also tested on the latest linux mint and everything works with bumblebee. I did test the latest Debian as well but no other rpm distro.
                    (every time it was a fresh install of the system as well).

I'm still testing and I will update this post when I find a solution to this nvidia problem. Nvidia cards are a bit annoying to setup with Fedora...
                    I still did not test with UEFI off and secure boot disabled (each test were made with secure boot and UEFI).

By the way, everything else is working like a charm (with the thinkpad_acpi).
                    I used TLP as power manager.
                    I still did not test any thinkfan manager but it's working fine by default.
                    The native fingerprint manager is basic and cheap, only one finger print scan while on windows you have to scan about 10 times the same finger to get a more accurate one...

I'm a big thinkpad fan, and I used to run on linux with a 400s,420,430 and now the 450s, looks to be great like his predecessor.
                    Last edited by myforgedoteu; 24 August 2015, 07:41 AM.

Comment

I think to buy today or tomorrow my Lenovo Thinkpad T450s to use with Fedora Workstation, or Archlinux. I want to choose for Intel graphics, only base 4GB RAM, SSHD, 16GB M.2, 65W adapter, 23Wh rear battery, and a 68Wh additional rear battery. I'll order from amazon a crucial 8GB and Samsung SSD 850 Evo 1TB.
                      I have questions about the rear battery.
                      Only the 23Wh fit perfectly in the case? or the 47Wh fit well too?

Update:
                      After some days I bought a T450s with front and rear 23Wh, and a supplementary 68+ 72Wh.
                      I hope that at these days the minor issues with Linux were solved with kernel and distributions upgrades.
                      Last edited by speedygeo; 27 August 2015, 01:19 AM. Reason: Updated situation

Comment

Working...
                      X