OpenMoko Might Live On With N900 Phone Base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
    I want the opposite, a nice netbook/smartbook/ultrabook/whateveryoucallit running an ARM instead of a damn Intel. Some of the Asus Transformers are about the closest it seem like you can get, especially the TF700KL... Expensive and hard to buy though.
    Buy a Chromebook, install a proper linux? They only lack in storage, a soldered SSD and no adding more.

Comment

Originally posted by vick View Post
      I'm looking for a relatively powerful ultra-mobile PC with a keyboard and mouse to take around on many occasions and not really a fairly low performing phone/PC device where I would have in my pocket at all times.
      How about a netbook? The Packard Bell ENME69BMP/Gateway LT41P04u - 10.1'' 1366x768 touchscreen display, Celeron N2805 BayTrail processor. I think I'll be owning one soon, even though I recently bought a new desktop so really shouldn't be wasting more money on computers .

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      I think you have things mixed up. Capacitive is the good, newer one. Resistive is the shitty old one that was used on PDA's and such.
      This. I recently came into possession of a resistive screen phone. The screen is terrible. Terrible. If KellyClowers is not mixing things up, he must be the only one preferring resistive to capacitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
        This. I recently came into possession of a resistive screen phone. The screen is terrible. Terrible. If KellyClowers is not mixing things up, he must be the only one preferring resistive to capacitive.
        No, he's not mixing it up. Resistive screens are superior to capacitive - but only the good ones.

Bad resistive (most of them) >>>>> capacitive > good resistive.

Nokia N900 has very good resistive screen. Of course usage pattern is a bit different, as you still have to apply minimal pressure, but thanks to that you get pixel precision even when using just a fingernail.

Would you be able to do anything like that on capacitive? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66RBfrBgL2E

This is a phone for hackers who like to do extraordinary stuff with their phones. I've been runing standard XFCE desktop on full Debian GNU/Linux on my Neo Freerunner, I've been remote controlling PCs with VNC on my Nokia N900. Capacitive is good on Kindle or featurephones like iPhone or Android devices, maybe on tablets. On true smartphones, capacitive is a no-go.

Choosing capacitive screen for Neo900 would make the most important target of this project just go away.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
          Ugh, why would you do that?!

I want the opposite, a nice netbook/smartbook/ultrabook/whateveryoucallit running an ARM instead of a damn Intel. Some of the Asus Transformers are about the closest it seem like you can get, especially the TF700KL... Expensive and hard to buy though.
          Mainly because of my lack of skill in installing and maintaining Linux on an ARM device. I'd be in the same boat as with my Droid 4 where I'm reliant on the OEM to provide updates to the base OS which often maxes out at 2 updates. This was the main reason I got excited over the Neo900 project when I first read about it. They're striving for an easy to setup device by using completely open source components (except for the PowerVR graphics). Too bad after reading further about it, the device seems to lack some things I'd like for a UMPC (ie. not really a phone). Mainly, a larger screen, a mouse or active stylus and the performance might not be good enough for what I'd like to do. Maybe some sort of software to dedicate a portion of the screen as a virtual thumb based trackpad would be nice but that would probably require a larger screen. At least, the resistive screen would allow for the same accuracy as an active stylus by using a fine tipped stylus. Detecting the pressure amount to simulate between a mouse hover and a click is technically possible with a resistive screen as well.

The project links to this video to show how good a resistive screen can be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66RBfrBgL2E

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
          How about a netbook? The Packard Bell ENME69BMP/Gateway LT41P04u - 10.1'' 1366x768 touchscreen display, Celeron N2805 BayTrail processor. I think I'll be owning one soon, even though I recently bought a new desktop so really shouldn't be wasting more money on computers .
          I'm eyeing the comeback of 10" netbooks as well but I'm still hoping for a 5"-7" screen (depending on the bezel size and keyboard layout) with a slideout keyboard and mouse like the old OQO devices.

Comment

Working...
          X