No announcement yet.

Canonical Goes To Crowd-Funding For Ubuntu Edge Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$3.18m raised so far, all their $600 phones are now sold out, so it is $830 now for a ubuntu edge, i just can't see them selling enough of those to get the remaining $29m, i hope they do though.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
      $3.18m raised so far, all their $600 phones are now sold out, so it is $830 now for a ubuntu edge, i just can't see them selling enough of those to get the remaining $29m, i hope they do though.
      Agree. They should have had three days with 10K or 20K units at $600, least then they would have made 6/12million. I don't see many paying $10,000 for special placing. Now it will be interesting to see if they can make the rest up on $20 donations.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
        Agree. They should have had three days with 10K or 20K units at $600, least then they would have made 6/12million. I don't see many paying $10,000 for special placing. Now it will be interesting to see if they can make the rest up on $20 donations.
        I'm more worried on what happens if they don't. It seems the provider they use makes you pay even if the project doesn't get as much funding as they wanted, and they take 9% if you fail in your goal (4% if you achieve it). I don't think the ones who paid $600 will be happy if they don't get a phone or at least their money back.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          I'm more worried on what happens if they don't. It seems the provider they use makes you pay even if the project doesn't get as much funding as they wanted, and they take 9% if you fail in your goal (4% if you achieve it). I don't think the ones who paid $600 will be happy if they don't get a phone or at least their money back.
          This is not so. You do not pay anything unless the goal is met.

Comment

9%, what a scam. More reasonable if it was a set fee, say 50c, or a deep fraction. There website isn't too advance, nor would the hosting costs be that much to run.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
              9%, what a scam. More reasonable if it was a set fee, say 50c, or a deep fraction. There website isn't too advance, nor would the hosting costs be that much to run.
              I'm sorry, I got confused (the website's FAQ contains wrong information, at least in the spanish translation, which I didn't find a way to disable), all of that is only with flexible funding. Fixed funding is only the 4% if you achieve your goal, and 0% and a reimbursement for your backers otherwise. The correct info is in here.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                This is not so. You do not pay anything unless the goal is met.
                You do pay before the goal is met, as a comment from one backer says, but what I got wrong is that it goes to the project either way.
                If it fails, you get a reimbursement.

Comment

I'm sorry, I got confused (the website's FAQ contains wrong information, at least in the spanish translation, which I didn't find a way to disable), all of that is only with flexible funding. Fixed funding is only the 4% if you achieve your goal, and 0% and a reimbursement for your backers otherwise. The correct info is in here.
                  4% of 32 million = $1,280,000. That is a scam.

Is there a threshold for proceeds to the Indiegogo organisation?

Canonical should have never put users in this predicament if it is a scam.

Comment

ohhhhhhh.. COME ON! do you know a better way to fund 30.000.000$ for this project?

of course indiegogo will get a fee if it succed. What did you expect? Indiegogo is not charitable foundation.

EDIT: and of course if they don't reach the target, they (me included) will get refund the FULL amount. its 32.000.000$ or nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                      ohhhhhhh.. COME ON! do you know a better way to fund 30.000.000$ for this project?

of course indiegogo will get a fee if it succed. What did you expect? Indiegogo is not charitable foundation.

EDIT: and of course if they don't reach the target, they (me included) will get refund the FULL amount. its 32.000.000$ or nothing.
                      Getting a million dollars+ for 30 days of web hosting on a low tech website, is not reasonable even if paid by many users making the sum. What would be reasonable would be a fee threshold like a $1000 or the use of the monies to invest in safe interest bearing account for three month or the like.

Does Indiegogo use profits to go to open-source charities or is it a private business playing on good will with the title 'indie'.
                      Last edited by e8hffff; 23 July 2013, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X