Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Considering Switch To Rolling-Release Model

Phoronix: Ubuntu Considering Switch To Rolling-Release Model

Starting with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS next year, Canonical may switch Ubuntu Linux to a rolling-release model whereby package updates the bi-annual Long-Term Support releases would be the official images with rolling package updates for those releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds like a good idea, if they get it right.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of rolling release and wish most distros would do it. Ubuntu, however, should NOT do it. Ubuntu is basically the main commercialized desktop linux distro, where version numbers matter. What they SHOULD do is only 1 release per year instead of 2. Or better yet, a new release every time there's either a major change or a set of software that loses/gains compatibility. So for example when the ATI HD2000-4000 series lost compatibility, that would be a new release. When they made the switch to Unity, that would be a new release. When Valve moves beyond the beta of Steam, that should be a new release.

Comment

I'm all for it. I won't touch rolling-release Linux distros, which is why I have stuck with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. They just backport the stuff that works well and I don't have to worry about it. Let people alpha/beta test some things, work it out, and then pass it on to the masses? Sounds great to me!

Comment

Logical

It looks to be a logical step forward by Cononical. This move looks as if they are trying to be forward-thinking by making positive changes in order to stay competitive with other operating systems. LTS will still be available for those who cannot/will not/should not be on a rolling release model, and since LTS will still be available for production, the rolling release model can be use for development and testing, under some circumstances. Gaming rigs would benefit greatly from this as new technologies are introduced often that can have an impact on graphics and overall gaming performance. Oh, and don't forget that users that switch from Windows often do not have the technical skills to upgrade their OS every 6 months, and expect lots of updates on a regular basis. I'm all for it, and if it doesn't work then I will just stick to LTS or just not update very often. I could be wrong, we'll see.

Comment

I'm all for it, but I think they should have 1 release per year.

Comment

I see an big drama is comming. I hope Canonical and Valve can make enough pressure on AMD that they change there Linux Plan and start Supporting new Kernel and x-server releases like nvidia.

i bet Valve will not so amused if their steambox customers get only a black screen because there update the system.

Comment

I'd like to install Flight Gear 2.8, but there's only older one available. Rolling release model is an only sane model for desktop users. Bring it on, please!

Comment

Not having rolling release for desktop is awful. So many times I would have issues or bugs, and then I'd find out that it is fixed in the newest stable release but I won't see it until a few months later. And if you spend time setting up different repos for different things to be up to date, you might as well go for a rolling release anyways.

Comment

This would kill ubuntu. Simple user so dont cares about is it never or it is not, it simply must work in the first place, and with rolling release model for newbies? oh my god I hear screams already!

Comment

Working...
                    X