Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
    Exactly what came to my mind, either!
    Thanks, Michael, for publicly telling us the first details of the coming (2013) Steambox that you saw while being at ValvE headquarters!
    I wonder, though, how Gaben is going to react...
    FTA, for those that can't read:

"what I would really like to see from a Linux-based game console is...What else would you like to see out of your dream Linux gaming console?"

In terms of any SteamBox rumors, no comment.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yes, I can read!

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      FTA, for those that can't read:

"what I would really like to see from a Linux-based game console is...What else would you like to see out of your dream Linux gaming console?"

In terms of any SteamBox rumors, no comment.
      Seem to have hit a nerve there!
      Nevertheless, it was YOU that basically confirmed the Steambox when YOU said that the OUYA is going to be trumped by something (read: Steambox) much better NEXT year!
      I mean, what else could it have been, a console by EA? *lol*

PS: Just noticed: apparently, YOU even know how its going to be written: SteamBox it is, eh?
      Last edited by Linuxxx; 19 July 2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Well, I guess Android isn't appealing right away to most Linux hardcore enthusiast, but I see it as the best tool for market penetration for Linux. If you take in consideration that :
        • Android is known by consumers and doesn't have the Linux stigmata,
        • There's a huge quantity of application that would only some tweaking to be available,
        • There's a huge quantity of developer too
        • Having the possibility to develop for both mobile and console has a certain appeal

I see this project as a possible success. Some will say that there's already a lot of linux developers and a lot of Linux application available (it's true), but keep in my that the target audience isn't only the usual Linux geek. This is has an incredible appeal to casual gamers that are used to mobile/web based game.

Comment

Linuxxx, stop harassing Michael, "Steam Big Picture" is already out of the bag at other sites. Eg in the game-dev interview here http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/...re.asp?c=43243

Meanwhile, Ouya to me is a perfect solution for a dirt cheap 1080p mediacenter that, as added bonus, will get loads of free/fremium game and other content and further on top of that, a BT game controller that for sure will have drivers and support in anything linux shortly after launch. As long as it doesnt turn out to be vapour ware, there is just no downside for a true linux entusiaist at the $99 pricepoint. Even if the console ultimately fails to survive longterm, the hardware, due to the openness, will be highly useful in the FOSS world. And there still is the "what if they DONT fail...".

Comment

I fail to see any advantage of using normal Linux instead of Android (whatever that means - Android is a Linux derivative, and using a desktop Linux stack on such a device would be silly).

Comment

@brent @werfu
              You both fail to see the biggest problem! Android is not 'Linux' as we know it. Specifically speaking Android is not GNU/Linux, it's 'Linux' as in only the kernel, and that means nothing for the whole GNU/Linux application ecosystem. Android is a completely separate platform. Androids popularity is not any success for the GNU/Linux community, quite the opposite - ppl are writing apps for Android, and those apps are not able to run on GNU/Linux and vice versa, thus dividing the already split community even more and to a far greater extent than any distro incompatibility goes.

Google did a great job on Android - made a 'Linux' that's not compatible with all other 'Linuxes' out there, where you write apps in java that is not compatible with all other 'javas' out there (oracle & openjdk). Being unique for the sake of being unique.

Yes I am jealous, jealous and angry, that after years of using GNU/Linux, popularising it, evangelizing, etc, Google comes, makes something new, uses 'it's Linux!' marketing towards the geeks and developers. This new thing get loads of software in just a few years, software that I cannot run on my 'Linux'.

That is why using a normal GNU/Linux on even the mobile/tablet/console/embedded/whatever systems is a good idea - the 'app ecosystem' is common. If they want to use a simple mobile OS why not just use MeeGo? Technically it's worlds ahead of any Android.
              Last edited by Cyber Killer; 20 July 2012, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                I fail to see any advantage of using normal Linux instead of Android (whatever that means - Android is a Linux derivative, and using a desktop Linux stack on such a device would be silly).
                Its silly using a heavy Java stack for all of that. Most 'real' games will try to be as native as possible, with as little as possible running in the dalvik bit. (Think SuperUser + su).

Comment

All demanding apps/games for Android are "native". Check Quake 3 Arena port. Even Angry Birds has higher hardware requirements. Quake 3 works fine on Samsung Spica (ARMv6 and crappy graphics), Angry Birds is a slideshow

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                    4) Emulation of NES/SNES/etc will either be possible, or I'll make it possible.
                    5) USB Ports to hook up all sorts of external peripherals (including external storage/KB/Mouse).
                    I can see that it would also be a good device to run those good old titles that are freeware now, like OpenTyrian, Beneath a Steel Sky, etc. I actually see potential in this project unlike the Xperia Play which was sort of similar, but cost $500 USD more and was a phone.

Comment

I'm not sure if it's just part of their sales pitch, but if the Ouya will be as open and hackable as they claim, wouldn't someone be able to port/patch a linux distro to run on it? Ubutnu is apparently already available on some ARM processors, so I don't see something like this being very far off.

Comment

Working...
                      X