Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Kernel Power Issues Continues To Bite Users

Phoronix: The Linux Kernel Power Issues Continues To Bite Users

The Linux kernel power regressions in the Linux 2.6.38 where I was the first to largely document and prove would cause major power problems in Ubuntu 11.04 and other Linux distributions, continues to bite plenty of mobile users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At this point, I would love to see the Linux Foundation fund continuous Phoronix testing and for Linus and friends to make use of the results of testing during the life of the kernel. Clearly, killing 20% battery life is a significant regression that could/should have been addressed properly by running PTS and detecting the offending check-in(s) st is (them) happened

Comment

At this point I would like to see Michael pull his head in. So you found a kernel bug. Woohoo? There have been 50 others reported in the last week, and I don't see other bug reporters whinging about not getting enough attention.

These problems have been hitting many users now in released distributions, yet the problem still isn't resolved. In fact, Canonical, Red Hat, or other ISV/IHVs haven't even inquired about the work I've been doing to narrow down the issue...
      ..so sad

Which I think I may have tracked down and will announce then in a couple of days.
      Great!

[So, yes, I'll just put out the findings when it's to my maximum ad-revenue advantage.]
      Glad to see you've got the community's interests at heart..

Comment

Glad to see you've got the community's interests at heart..
        Obviously he does. Do you really think that he's making real money testing Linux distros all day and running Phoronix off of subscriptions and ads? Sure, it's a rather acrimonious statement but it drives a pungent point: nobody else is doing anything to fix this issue. It has always seemed that Linux releases squeeze another 0.01% out of a server benchmark at the sacrifice of a large chunk of desktop usability. This issue is a perfect example.

Comment

@Michael:
          Thanks for your hard work! All mobile users are indebted to you.

@ for the rest:
          Interesting how you can't see the irony in the "revenue" thing.
          I believe he is trying to piss off and get ahead of the trolls who would come and write that he's not yet releasing the cause for the regression but writing one more article just to gain a few more cents. While the real reason is probably that
          a) he still needs to do more tests to be able to say that "that commit is the culprit"
          b) as he noted on twitter he (and possibly others) are working on a patch to address the problem, hence he's planning to tell everything in one article.

Of course I can't rule out that he means what he says but I honestly doubt that.

Comment

These problems have been hitting many users now in released distributions, yet the problem still isn't resolved. In fact, Canonical, Red Hat, or other ISV/IHVs haven't even inquired about the work I've been doing to narrow down the issue...
            What has Red Hat got to do with it? Did you find a power issue in RHEL? Nope, you found or at least claim to have found a power issue in Ubuntu.

So if you have reported it it's up to Canonical or the Ubuntu community to fix this Ubuntu issue. Of course we all know this isn't going to happen because the whole business model of Canonical is based on freeloading.

So yes you are on your own, but since you didn't pay for Ubuntu you have no reason to complain anyway.

Comment

I understand waiting on publishing the article, but I really hope he's immediately given the info to those who need it to fix bugs!

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                What has Red Hat got to do with it? Did you find a power issue in RHEL? Nope, you found or at least claim to have found a power issue in Ubuntu.

So if you have reported it it's up to Canonical or the Ubuntu community to fix this Ubuntu issue. Of course we all know this isn't going to happen because the whole business model of Canonical is based on freeloading.

So yes you are on your own, but since you didn't pay for Ubuntu you have no reason to complain anyway.
                Fedora 15 is affected.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael,

Do you have any results on older kernels, like 2.6.24 for instance. This was the kernel on Hardy Haron 8.04 and also the one used by WebOS until now (recently switched to 2.6.29).

Why? Just curious

Comment

Is this bug eventually going to find its way into Android smartphones and tablets or is the kernel over there so far branched off the main path that it'd be unlikely to pick up this problem?

Comment

Working...
                    X