Clear All

Originally posted by phats View Post
    Point a webcam at your killawatts and check this out:
    http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~auerswal/ssocr/
    Too much work for not enough ROI.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

i have WTF feeling also about colors in charts, cant see anything... everything almost black black-blue black-red -black black-green blackblack-green ... please. do something with charts, better chart maker? or something

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
        i have WTF feeling also about colors in charts, cant see anything... everything almost black black-blue black-red -black black-green blackblack-green ... please. do something with charts, better chart maker? or something
        See Michael's response to an identical post above. Also: the man is bisecting the kernel git commits as we speak and we ... keep hitting him because of the plot colors? There is numerical info at the top of the charts, regardless, and that's unambiguous. Also, PTS is Open Source, we can all help improve it.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          Also: the man is bisecting the kernel git commits as we speak and we ... keep hitting him because of the plot colors?
          Yup and I can't help but think "properly calibrate your monitors ffs" every time I see someone bitching about colours. Of course very few people know how to actually do it and you could pretty much slap any colour on any of the graphs and it wouldn't help. The real solution for those people is to have the graphs enlarge fullscreen when clicked on.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Yup and I can't help but think "properly calibrate your monitors ffs" every time I see someone bitching about colours. Of course very few people know how to actually do it and you could pretty much slap any colour on any of the graphs and it wouldn't help. The real solution for those people is to have the graphs enlarge fullscreen when clicked on.
            Another valid alternative would be to show less info. That's what they do at Tom's Hardware. They only show average, max and min (over the time series). That's not a bad approach, really, and probably more meaningful (for power, in particular, average consumption is the most meaningful quantity).

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
              Another valid alternative would be to show less info. That's what they do at Tom's Hardware. They only show average, max and min (over the time series). That's not a bad approach, really, and probably more meaningful (for power, in particular, average consumption is the most meaningful quantity).
              True, you really don't need to have a time line for power consumption at all. A simple numerical table would suffice.

Comment

I'm not seeing the power regression on my computers. My UPS automatically displays how much power my computer is using for the desktop and has always sat at 157 watts.

The laptop with an Intel Pentium M is not showing the increase in power consumption either. Full system idle is still the same as it has always been and that is 10 watts of power on a dell lattitude D600. With minimum brightness the laptop uses 13 watts.

Comment

Yup and I can't help but think "properly calibrate your monitors ffs" every time I see someone bitching about colours
                  Hi there,

A: The graph colors suck... period.
                  B: It's bad business to insult your subscribers when they complain about your product.

Go blow yourself,
                  Frank

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
                    Hi there,

A: The graph colors suck... period.
                    B: It's bad business to insult your subscribers when they complain about your product.

Go blow yourself,
                    Frank
                    You're not a subscriber to Deanjo. Deanjo is just a forum moderator taking care of spam and rightfully sharing his own personal views.

As I have said though in other posts, patches are welcome to improve the pts_Graph color algorithm. I actually made some improvements to it just this weekend but didn't make it for that article.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

a lot of people, especially males, have problems with colours. No calibrating will help you with that. You don't have to be fully red/green colour blind, a weakness is enough to be unable to distinguish between the colours used. Also there are a LOT of 18bit displays out there. No amount of calibrating on those displays will save your bacon.

Comment

Working...
                      X