Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SplashTop Releases Its MeeGo-based OS

Phoronix: SplashTop Releases Its MeeGo-based OS

While Nokia has effectively abandoned the MeeGo Linux operating system, Intel is still supporting MeeGo along with AMD and other vendors, including SplashTop. SplashTop has today announced the release of their MeeGo-based operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's some kind of flawed logic - choose an open source OS and instead of superior searcher hook to the broken bing.

Comment

Actually, I don't get why they are calling AppUp an "app store". From what I know, everything is free there, and they aren't exactly apps like in Android. They could just call a spade a spade and call it a package manager. Or maybe they're worried that the average user might not understand the meaning of that?..

Comment

I did not test MeeGo, but as it was similar to Mobilin it should have got a complete Xorg stack. So no more pure vesa mode which would be faster in theory. But when SplashTop still runs the system as root with only restricted apps it would be boring. Especially when you look at the pidgin variant they used to ship - not even irc was enabled there and so outdated that nobody could use to login to icq - you definitely need updates. The hd access was limited until you got a terminal running. Well when there is a dl out for the MeeGo based system that runs everywhere i will take a look at it. Basically all they needed to do was to update their ce bootloader to work with another distro. SplashTop boot time was always a fake, as they showed the bootloader with app selector more or less immediately and then later launched the real os. The kernel option they got from the selection item just triggered the app start.

Comment

dear phoronix. would you please stop talking about intel as the savior of meego? they were the ones who screwed it up for nokia, that's why they dropped it!!

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            dear phoronix. would you please stop talking about intel as the savior of meego? they were the ones who screwed it up for nokia, that's why they dropped it!!
            Uhum, source please?

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
              This and countless others disagree with your statement.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Actually, I don't get why they are calling AppUp an "app store". From what I know, everything is free there, and they aren't exactly apps like in Android. They could just call a spade a spade and call it a package manager. Or maybe they're worried that the average user might not understand the meaning of that?..
                Try to define the difference between an App Store and a Package Manager. There just is none.
                App Stores are celebrated like the best new thing since sliced Bread, but they aren't anything new at all! I'm still waiting for Apple to announce a patent on this.

Comment

Working...
                X