NVIDIA Says It Will Deliver ARM CPUs Spanning PCs to SCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Ubuntu is much more demanding than Android, it is a desktop OS, not a smartphone OS...
    Actually, I was surprised how well Ubuntu ran on this device. A basal CPU load of 100% on one CPU whereas the other at approximately 30, and approximately 300 of the 512 MB RAM used.

The graphical sluggishness decreased significantly when I changed from UNR to standard Gnome or e17. In general, it feels like computing-wise it works pretty nice but probably something graphics-wise that works less good compared to on the default Android 2.1 (the feeling is like comparing nouveau and propiretary Nvidia drivers for a desktop).

When I get the data I will be able to argue more for this (if you have suggestions on which tests to run, I am all ears).

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      It looks like x86 is not good enough these days since reports keep popping up that this and that company start supporting ARM. What does Intel plan to do to stop the spread of ARM which is increasingly likely to invade desktop PCs in the next 4-5 years (especially if windows 8 on ARM works well).
      I am sure we'll see Intel (and Microsoft) move aggressively to protect the x86 architecture. Microsoft might put out a bastardized version of Windows for ARM to effectively cripple the ARM CPU's enough to convince consumers and manufacturers to drop ARM netbooks/desktops. Intel might even look to find ways to streamline the x86 microarchitecture even more to realize more performance gains to really compete with ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
        The graphical sluggishness decreased significantly when I changed from UNR to standard Gnome or e17. In general, it feels like computing-wise it works pretty nice but probably something graphics-wise that works less good compared to on the default Android 2.1 (the feeling is like comparing nouveau and propiretary Nvidia drivers for a desktop).
        Well, that's it for you. BINARY BLOB FTW!!

@DeepDayze:
        Well, we have android for that. Today consumers are smarter [a little].

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
          I am sure we'll see Intel (and Microsoft) move aggressively to protect the x86 architecture. Microsoft might put out a bastardized version of Windows for ARM to effectively cripple the ARM CPU's enough to convince consumers and manufacturers to drop ARM netbooks/desktops. Intel might even look to find ways to streamline the x86 microarchitecture even more to realize more performance gains to really compete with ARM.
          Competition is good.

Comment

..a little smarter when choosing OS.. a little smarter... a little.. (keep saying this until you believe it)..

@Everyone:
            someone ever manage to edit post under 1 minute?

@Micheal:
            Remove the edit button please? It's of no use.

Comment

Actually, I was surprised how well Ubuntu ran on this device. A basal CPU load of 100% on one CPU whereas the other at approximately 30, and approximately 300 of the 512 MB RAM used.

When I get the data I will be able to argue more for this (if you have suggestions on which tests to run, I am all ears).
              The slugginesh is caused by the Mutter compositor which is simply not as well-optimized as Compiz. UNR has now switched to Compiz 0.9, which works much much better.

Comment

This is *great* news for open source.... since it creates a nice fracture in the market that is very difficult to deal with in distributing blob software. Open source, of course, can be compiled to run on anything, with the exception of assembly code (which is relatively very little).

In the short term, people who switch to arm will end up FORCED into open source for basic utility. In the long term, a lot of users will find themselves needing two separate computers to run all the blob software they want to run, and this will lead to protests and a greater demand for open source.

And when everything is open source, the day of linux will finally come and the evil ms will be crushed

Comment

I have a question: If a smartphone or tablet ships with nvidia graphics and is running an OS with Linux as it's kernel, isn't nvidia forced to ship GPL-ed graphics drivers?

Comment

I am currently a proud owner of a Toshiba AC100 (a Tegra2 "smartbook"), which I dual boot between Ubuntu-ARM and Android.
                    I'd love one as well but this 1024x600 resolution cripples it for me actually. I had a common netbook with that resolution and sold it after 2 months to buy one with 1366x768.
                    Does anyone know about any ARM netbook with more than 1024x600?
                    The only things that matter for me are resolution, weight and long battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                      I'd love one as well but this 1024x600 resolution cripples it for me actually. I had a common netbook with that resolution and sold it after 2 months to buy one with 1366x768.
                      Does anyone know about any ARM netbook with more than 1024x600?
                      The only things that matter for me are resolution, weight and long battery life.
                      "Asus EEE Pad Transformer" is what I (and probably you) have been waiting for, supposedly coming in April this year.

Comment

Working...
                      X