Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel, NVIDIA Hybrid GPU Switching On Linux Nears

Phoronix: Intel, NVIDIA Hybrid GPU Switching On Linux Nears

A month after making some small progress towards "hybrid graphics switching" on Linux to allow notebooks with dual GPUs (usually a low-power integrated graphics processor and a performance-oriented but high-powered discrete GPU), Red Hat's David Airlie is beginning to get things working for Intel and NVIDIA GPU combos on notebooks such as the Lenovo ThinkPad T410. Hybrid graphics on Linux still sucks, but at least it's getting better...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

finally, some progress
    hope to see this in the next version of my fav distro.

I wish they also worked with nvidia on this, since this switching is a lot more important for those using the binary blobs. I mean thats the ENTIRE reason of getting a laptop like this.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
      finally, some progress
      hope to see this in the next version of my fav distro.

I wish they also worked with nvidia on this, since this switching is a lot more important for those using the binary blobs. I mean thats the ENTIRE reason of getting a laptop like this.
      How do you suggest we work with nvidia? I work in the open, they know I'm working on it, we don't have source to their code, they have all ours.

I'm really wondering how I can do any more to make your wish come true.

Dave.

Comment

It's cool that the open source drivers already have some support for this, while the proprietary drivers have nothing.

Nice work!

Comment

Neither the article or the blog post mentions whether this is the "optimus" thingy or one of the earlier two-gpus-on-a-laptop thingies.

Comment

Good work!!!

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Neither the article or the blog post mentions whether this is the "optimus" thingy or one of the earlier two-gpus-on-a-laptop thingies.
              The "optimus" thingy is a windows-only, closed-source technology. Two guesses as to which thingy this article is about.

Comment

OK, I'll spell it out :P

One of the laptops wired in the way required by the Nvidia(tm) Optimus(tm) proprietary technology(tm) mark, and advertised as having such. Or the older ones, without said (tm) mark.

I know it is, after googling the model name. The point was I shouldn't have needed to, that is essential info in a news post like this.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
                  How do you suggest we work with nvidia? I work in the open, they know I'm working on it, we don't have source to their code, they have all ours.

I'm really wondering how I can do any more to make your wish come true.

Dave.
                  You have done more than enough, am we're very grateful.

But there needs to be some incentive for them to port their stuff over, without having to make you do that work for them.

Even if we had the same marketshare as macs, they would probably still be this stubborn, so there has to be a roadblock somewhere.

What is really stopping them?

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                    You have done more than enough, am we're very grateful.

But there needs to be some incentive for them to port their stuff over, without having to make you do that work for them.

Even if we had the same marketshare as macs, they would probably still be this stubborn, so there has to be a roadblock somewhere.

What is really stopping them?
                    They have no customer demand. (remember you are not a customer of nvidia, you are a customer of an OEM).

Comment

Working...
                    X