SHIFTphone 8 Preparing Mainline Linux Support Ahead Of Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    How is ShiftOS different form mainline Android?
    It's just a name, we try to keep it as close to AOSP as possible.

Originally posted by Drizzt321 View Post
    I take it amartinz that you're involved in the company? I can't seem to find answers to A) what are the LTE/5G frequencies supported (aka can I use it with my USA carrier), and B) will it be available to purchase direct from the USA.

I'd LOVE to get the Fairphone 5, but unfortunately it's not available to buy in the USA, and has some missing frequencies that, while not critical, would be very good to have available for my carrier.
    According to the specs:

5G NR: n1/n2/n3/n5/n7/n8/n12/n20/n25/n28/n38/n40/n41/n66/n71/n77/n78/n79
    FDD: B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B12/B13/B17/B18/B19/B20/B25/B26/B28/B66/B71
    TDD: B38/B39/B40/B41
    WCDMA: B1/B2/B5/B8​​

Unfortunately we do not have experience with USA carriers (yet) so it will not be supported in USA, but like bemerk wrote we plan it long term.
    Not sure if it will happen with a model variant of the SHIFTphone 8 yet or with a future model.

We are a small company without any investors, which means we need to take extra care of how much we can handle at once.

Comment

Originally posted by amartinz View Post

It's just a name, we try to keep it as close to AOSP as possible.

According to the specs:

5G NR: n1/n2/n3/n5/n7/n8/n12/n20/n25/n28/n38/n40/n41/n66/n71/n77/n78/n79
      FDD: B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B12/B13/B17/B18/B19/B20/B25/B26/B28/B66/B71
      TDD: B38/B39/B40/B41
      WCDMA: B1/B2/B5/B8​​

Unfortunately we do not have experience with USA carriers (yet) so it will not be supported in USA, but like bemerk wrote we plan it long term.
      Not sure if it will happen with a model variant of the SHIFTphone 8 yet or with a future model.

We are a small company without any investors, which means we need to take extra care of how much we can handle at once.
      Totally understand the financial issues although that won't stop me from wishing!

Thanks for that list, I'll have to cross-check it against AT&T, but probably missing a few.

If it isn't though... Am I able to buy and have shipped internationally? Or would I have to figure out some kind of cross-shipper?

Comment

I'd love to buy one but until they ship to Canada I can't. Teracube 2E and Volla X23 are my best similar options thus far.

Comment

Sadly, it won't come with a 3.5 mm headphone jack, just like the Fairphone 5. Hopefully it will be smaller though, the Fairphone 5 is a phablet brick. The Shiftphone 8 will have a 6" screen - definitely not small, but not too big - so if the bezels are small then this could have acceptable dimensions comparable to the standard iPhone. Next will be the question if the bootloader will be relockable. I think it will be, because the Shiftphone 6mq is already supported by CalyxOS, and I think it's one of their requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by pasanov View Post
            Anyone have experience with their deliveries outside Germany and the EU? And how much it could cost?
            Might not be worth it because the device might not support US bands at all.
            However you might want to consider asking them if they directly ship to the US.

Comment

If it isn't though... Am I able to buy and have shipped internationally? Or would I have to figure out some kind of cross-shipper?
              Unfortunately we are only shipping to the EU so you'd need to figure out a cross-shipper.
              And even then, if not certified and you keep using it, i think the device will be blocked from accessing your operators network.

We had the case once where this happened with the SHIFT6mq and a customer being on a bigger vacation in US.

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
              Sadly, it won't come with a 3.5 mm headphone jack, just like the Fairphone 5. Hopefully it will be smaller though, the Fairphone 5 is a phablet brick. The Shiftphone 8 will have a 6" screen - definitely not small, but not too big - so if the bezels are small then this could have acceptable dimensions comparable to the standard iPhone. Next will be the question if the bootloader will be relockable. I think it will be, because the Shiftphone 6mq is already supported by CalyxOS, and I think it's one of their requirements.
              Yes, this was really painful for us!
              We discussed this topic internally for months, but in the end the headphone jack was decided to be dropped because it allowed us to keep the device a bit smaller due the space saved and it is also helpful for waterproofing it more easily.

Regarding whether the bootloader will be relockable: this is actually a requirement for us.
              So yes, this will be supported, along with: https://github.com/SHIFTPHONES/andro...3fef5b6e499a05
              Last edited by amartinz; 09 May 2024, 10:13 AM. Reason: clarifying that "it" is the headphone jack

Comment

Originally posted by SViN View Post

They did post the supported bands a few posts ago, that should clarify any "might/might not" cases.

Comment

Thanks for that info, helpful. Sad to hear they aren't yet having a phone explicitly with international frequencies, but glad to hear they're considering it. I really, REALLY hope they and/or Fairphone do really soon. I'm tired of the Pixels being the best phones while still having to put LineageOS on them to get some semblance of control/owning my phone for myself.
                  I use Pixels myself, but for current ones I use GrapheneOS and for older Pixels that are End-of-Life I use DivestOS. That being said, I'm very interested in the SHIFTphone 8 myself but I'm in Canada and wonder how easy will it be to get here.

Comment

This might very well be my next phone after the current pinephone. But at more than 3 times the cost i won't be beta testing it like the pinephone. It must just work with Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by SViN View Post

According to ChatGPT the Bands for North America, Brasil and Canada match for 3g-5g except 2 minor bands. One of them is a downstream only 700mhz band in Canada.
                      It also doesn't support millimeter wave for 5g but in general i'd assume a good compatibility in the western world outside Europe​.

Comment

Working...
                      X