Framework Laptop EC Driver Being Prepared For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

That's great, because google had nothing to do with any of this. Framework just recycled some of their code.
    Yeah, Framework was happily using Intel's ME stuff up until they decided to do a Chromebook Framework (I have one). That needed a completely different setup, with the CrOS ME instead, so they spent a bunch of man hours making one. Then, since it works very well, they've re-used it on the AMD 13 and AMD 16 Frameworks. Since Google's ME design is pretty open, it will likely be the standard going forward. I'll be interested to see if FW makes an Intel 14th gen board based on Intel ME or the CrOS ME.

Comment

Originally posted by Forge View Post

Yeah, Framework was happily using Intel's ME stuff up until they decided to do a Chromebook Framework (I have one). That needed a completely different setup, with the CrOS ME instead, so they spent a bunch of man hours making one. Then, since it works very well, they've re-used it on the AMD 13 and AMD 16 Frameworks. Since Google's ME design is pretty open, it will likely be the standard going forward. I'll be interested to see if FW makes an Intel 14th gen board based on Intel ME or the CrOS ME.
      You do realize that the Intel Management has absolutely nothing to do with the EC, right? Even (actually, almost every) x86 chromebook has an ME. No AMD chromebook has an ME, though some have a PSP, which is again different from the EC.

This article is about the Embedded Controller, a small MCU on the motherboard that controls battery charging, backlight, and fans. Framework used google's EC firmware as a base when developing their laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

You do realize that the Intel Management has absolutely nothing to do with the EC, right? Even (actually, almost every) x86 chromebook has an ME. No AMD chromebook has an ME, though some have a PSP, which is again different from the EC.

This article is about the Embedded Controller, a small MCU on the motherboard that controls battery charging, backlight, and fans. Framework used google's EC firmware as a base when developing their laptops.
        Yeah, I spoke poorly and crossed up two subjects, and was quite unclear. Thank you for your polite response.

Comment

Aside from charge thresholds (which should already be doable​ to some degree with the upstream ChromeOS EC firmware), what other extra features are they adding?

Comment

Originally posted by BillFleming View Post
            Although the framework 16 does still have some suspend issues and the keyboards lack dedicated home/end/pg up/down keys.
            Lack of home/end/pageup/pagedown keys is a real deal-breaker for me.

Comment

Originally posted by DanaG View Post

Lack of home/end/pageup/pagedown keys is a real deal-breaker for me.
              They are QMK, so you can always remap. Make home/end/pgup/pgdn the defaults, and chord/layer to get to the directional keys.
              Last edited by Forge; 11 May 2024, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X