No announcement yet.

TUXEDO Computers Launches First Linux Laptop With AMD Ryzen 7 8845HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a current Tuxedo Pulse 14 gen 1, I do wish they'd have US-ANSI keyboard layout, but they only do ISO layout. Battery life is also pretty disappointing, not sure if it's the battery size, or lack of mainboard/hardware optimizations/drivers.

My FW16 batch is almost up, so I'm excited for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post
      I think the big reason why nobody has put the high end mobile AMD GPUs in laptops is their heavy power draw. That's why I'm not as concerned about having the best mobile GPU, because I do want a battery that lasts longer than an hour.
      This was already a non-issue with previous generation parts. The Asus ROG Strix G15 AMD Advantage edition with a Zen 3 Ryzen 9 5980HX and Radeon RX 6800M (same GPU as a desktop 6700 XT) has 8+ hour battery life for basic usage. They power gated the dGPU extremely well. When it launched its battery life was almost absurd for a gaming laptop with top SKU components.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

This was already a non-issue with previous generation parts. The Asus ROG Strix G15 AMD Advantage edition with a Zen 3 Ryzen 9 5980HX and Radeon RX 6800M (same GPU as a desktop 6700 XT) has 8+ hour battery life for basic usage. They power gated the dGPU extremely well. When it launched its battery life was almost absurd for a gaming laptop with top SKU components.
        Interesting. Reviews with the 7900m have been less promising even with a low res 1080p screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post

Interesting. Reviews with the 7900m have been less promising even with a low res 1080p screen.
          I have seen posts about high idle power draw from the 7xxx series desktop GPUs too, so maybe related. Here's a good reference for the battery life of the previous gen laptop I mentioned (and that I'm typing this on now).

Comment

I like the direction the issue is the terrible 16:9 aspect ratio. Never going back go 16:9 with having 16:10. Framework 16 would be my go-to over this TUXEDO release.

Comment

I do not get it why would you buy this? It probably has PSU that is half of its weight and laptops like this are not light at all. Carrying this is not an option. Battery will run out faster then windows finishes updating For such price and immobility one could easily build more powerful PC.

I myself am waiting for Snapdragon X elite. I decided to switch to ARM on my work laptop, but i do not want crappy macbook that can't run linux properly.

Comment

Working...
              X