Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Touch OTA-4 Released With Per-Contact Ringtones, Built-In Theme Switching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

werent they really expensive though?
    $549. x86 processor. Coreboot.
    I would say that's pretty reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by 3lfk1ng View Post

$549. x86 processor. Coreboot.
      I would say that's pretty reasonable.
      oh thats not that bad, for some reason I thought they were in the 800 price range, it will for sure be something to keep an eye out for, I personally currently use a chuwi hi10x that was gifted to me for development on various apps and testing stuff

Comment

Originally posted by mathieu.cossette View Post
        For tablet use I am considering going for a Pine tablet for my next tablet. Not everyone needs phone capabilities for their tablet.
        I would advise highly against that. My mum bought a PineTab 2 and it stopped working after a few weeks. No support from Pine whatsoever. And reading the forums, a lot of people have the same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 3lfk1ng View Post

Starlabs has a solid Linux tablet worth considering as well, you can pick the preinstalled Distro too.
          But this topic is about Ubuntu Touch. Starlabs is not supported by UT, while the PineTab is.

Comment

Thanks! I've read about them, yep Starlabs is also in my web browser bookmarks too.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I would advise highly against that. My mum bought a PineTab 2 and it stopped working after a few weeks. No support from Pine whatsoever. And reading the forums, a lot of people have the same issue.
              Ohhhh, thanks for this important notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

But this topic is about Ubuntu Touch. Starlabs is not supported by UT, while the PineTab is.
                Well, sometimes a news comments thread like this takes another path. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

They should proactively get into rebasing the OS on 24.04 LTS before it gets too late. 20.04 is already quite old. Wayland, GTK4 and other components have evolved tremendously in last 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ajparag View Post
                    They should proactively get into rebasing the OS on 24.04 LTS before it gets too late. 20.04 is already quite old. Wayland, GTK4 and other components have evolved tremendously in last 4 years.
                    They are rebasing on 22.04 LTS as we speak and are planning to port to 24.04 LTS late this year or early next year. It's just that 16.04 to 20.04 was a major change, with systemd and all that. It's now going to be easier and faster to rebase moving forward.

GTK4 is a non-issue, though, as Ubuntu Touch leverages Qt. And they just updated to the latest Qt 5.15 LTS, so it's up-to-date toolkit-wise. And Wayland support is in its infancy; they use the old Mir on most devices still.

Comment

Working...
                    X