No announcement yet.

Acer Aspire 1 ARM Laptop Has Nearly Complete Upstream Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do these devices support some kind of secure boot/verified boot or measured boot (probably with a screen to verify?)? I like the android devices, which show the fingerprint of the private key, which signed the os.
    Do these devices have microcode updates for the CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

it is pretty open. Rob Clarke started off the Adreno driver but at some point Qualcomm became involved. Qualcomm may have some shitty hardware licensing practices, but they seem to be pretty good on the GPU driver side and not the worse on the SoC upstreaming side.

It would be interesting if someone produces SBC's of Qualcomms highest tiers.
      They are NOT open. They are the primary reason Android has failed as an open platform because they release closed source blob drivers for their hardware then never update them. Those devices are stuck with whatever kernel version they were released for with no possibility of further support or upgrade. Any openness in the last few years is because Google has more or less pulled them kicking and screaming into being so, and even then mostly only for the Pixel devices. Screw Qualcomm.

Comment

Can be good if Samsung Galaxy Go Book 2 with Snapdragon 7c gen 2
        and Aspire 1 7c gen2 variant will be support.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

They are NOT open. They are the primary reason Android has failed as an open platform because they release closed source blob drivers for their hardware then never update them. Those devices are stuck with whatever kernel version they were released for with no possibility of further support or upgrade. Any openness in the last few years is because Google has more or less pulled them kicking and screaming into being so, and even then mostly only for the Pixel devices. Screw Qualcomm.
          Yes but this is in Android Mobile side.
          But with Notebooks including Thinkpad X13s, this not depends of HALs blobs and can use Mesa3D Freedreno driver for OpenGL that supports OpenGL 4.5 and GLES 3.1.
          For Vulkan have Turnip Driver in Mesa3D and is supporting Vulkan 1.3

Comment

Originally posted by EliasOfWaffle View Post

Yes but this is in Android Mobile side.
            But with Notebooks including Thinkpad X13s, this not depends of HALs blobs and can use Mesa3D Freedreno driver for OpenGL that supports OpenGL 4.5 and GLES 3.1.
            For Vulkan have Turnip Driver in Mesa3D and is supporting Vulkan 1.3
            Qualcomm probably has some PPT file with instructions how to use HxD to make the radio blob run wifi without turning the screen off... Pixels switched to slower Samsung chips, so even Google lost hope. The only Linux-capable ARM devices are Pine stuff, but they are such a crap that their page explains dead pixels are normal, and that they have problems shipping stuff with batteries (;

Comment

The fact Macbook with Asahi is the best "LINUX on ARM PC" experience in 2024 makes me sad. And it will be the case in 2024, because even if SD X Elite is successful there is no way a good Linux support will be added in the first year of production. So I guess let's continue discussing ARM advantages in the fucking theory until 2027. Perhaps by that time AMD/NVIDIA will offer ARM designs. Or not.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
                The fact Macbook with Asahi is the best "LINUX on ARM PC" experience in 2024 makes me sad. And it will be the case in 2024, because even if SD X Elite is successful there is no way a good Linux support will be added in the first year of production. So I guess let's continue discussing ARM advantages in the fucking theory until 2027. Perhaps by that time AMD/NVIDIA will offer ARM designs. Or not.
                Well NVIDIA offers ARM designs. I even have their SHIELD STB thingy.
                RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Originally posted by sobkas View Post

Well NVIDIA offers ARM designs. I even have their SHIELD STB thingy.
                  I mean proper Notebook/Desktop designs.

Comment

I still can't get over how good the Turnip vulkan driver is for Snapdragon, the fact that Mesa can run with either the open MSM driver or kgsl - meaning Turnip can be loaded per app on nearly any Snapdragon phone to get Vulkan 1.3 and get far superior rendering and fps

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasD View Post
                      Do these devices support some kind of secure boot/verified boot or measured boot (probably with a screen to verify?)? I like the android devices, which show the fingerprint of the private key, which signed the os.
                      Do these devices have microcode updates for the CPU?
                      secure boot is completely broken with the Logofail vulnerability​... google LogoFail

LogoFail:

maximum credible accident of closed source BIOS/UEFI

AMI is deeply committed to its role as a leader in firmware security. Learn more here about our in-house firmware security.

LogoFail by BINARLY: Discover how vulnerable image parsing impacts device manufacturers in the UEFI firmware ecosystem. Learn about critical LogoFAIL consequences.

https://binarly.io/posts/finding_log...e_parsing_duri ng_system_boot/

UEFI SecureBoot hack to even survive delete and formating my SSD by infect the Boot logo of my mainboard.

\EFI\OEM\Logo.jpg

people should demand BIOS/UEFI security update what makes sure the logo of the uefi boot can nolonger be changed by the operating system in the \EFI\OEM\ directory and \EFI\OEM\Logo.jpg file.​

as mitigation you can disable the UEFI logo in the bios.
                      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                      X