Framework 13 With AMD Ryzen 7040 Series Makes For A Great Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framework 13 With AMD Ryzen 7040 Series Makes For A Great Linux Laptop

Phoronix: Framework 13 With AMD Ryzen 7040 Series Makes For A Great Linux Laptop

For those in the market for an AMD Ryzen 7040 series (Zen 4) laptop, the Framework 13 laptop is a great option for those wanting a Linux-friendly device and is a rare breed in being a completely upgradeable laptop similar to Framework's Intel laptop models. I've been testing out the Framework Laptop 13 the past month and after a BIOS update has been working out wonderfully on Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope to live to see the day they start selling them in my country. So far, it doesn't look very promising.

Comment

I can never get under 4.5W on idle with my HP 845 G10 7840HS. And this laptop is reaching under 2W. Did I missed any config?

Comment

Alder Lake totally sucks in MT scenarios. Hopefully Meteor Lake will turn out to be actually power efficient.

Originally posted by thongpv87 View Post
        I can never get under 4.5W on idle with my HP 845 G10 7840HS. And this laptop is reaching under 2W. Did I missed any config?
        Bad BIOS. I use ryzenadj to bring idle power consumption to around 0.7W. Too bad this means I had to disable Secure Boot.

There's a long discussion about HP fuckery here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...d/td-p/8731252
        Last edited by avis; 15 November 2023, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Two questions:
          • How has the battery life measured under regular workloads?
          • Does the fan still get noticeably loud under regular usage?

Comment

Originally posted by thongpv87 View Post
            U-series is different from HS-series

Comment

Got mine this week and it's very good. Looks great, all Linux stuff works out of the box (except for the fingerprint reader needing a firmware update) and it's very snappy.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

U-series is different from HS-series
                Nope, basically the same CPUs with different power targets and slightly different maximum CPU clocks and guaranteed MT clocks (7840HS clocks much higher).

I can my make 7840HS run as 7840U by limiting its power targets. Turning 7840U (max 30W TDP) into 7840HS (max 54W TDP) is not possible. So for this generation H CPUs are more versatile.

Comment

Looks pretty nice, the cursor keys seem tiny to me, though. And is that... me... or is that a 4:3 (or 5:4) screen? That would be pretty rare.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

When Linux 6.6 comes out to Fedora and other distros, I wonder if the performance / power profiles and daemons distros provide will use all the new knobs and dials available to AMD. IIRC, 6.6 added Performance Efficiency Bias preferences for AMD (think it's 0 to 16 or 0 to 255) which maybe only available to P-State Active and P-State Guided configurations. And 6.6 adds the ability to turn off Turbo Boost for AMD, which would be helpful when we need every drop of efficiency we can get, say on battery.

I'm excited to play around with those things and seeing how it affects efficiency.
                    Last edited by Mitch; 15 November 2023, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X