Last Minute Linux 6.6 Fixes Address Nine "Unusable" Lenovo AMD Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post

I've never used this utility and I don't trust it. BIOS updates are distributed via Windows which I have left intact (just shrunk it as much as I could).
    I have 2 Lenovo T-series and 1 P-series laptops and they all seamlessly update their firmware via fwupd.

Comment

Totally not true.

Thinkpads from T, X, R lines always had internally developed BIOS, Synaptics Trackpoints and touchpads, etc. The same is true for hi-end Dell Latitudes, HP Elitebooks, all they user original Lenovo Trackpoints.

But cheap, consumer lenovos, HP or Dells always had outsourced buggy BIOSes, cheaper trackpoints/trackpads from Elan and other brands(Alps is hi-end in consumer).

Comment

Also experienced full I/O read/write errors and NVMe devices disappearing during high load (compiling the kernel) on 6.6-rc7.

This was on a AMD X570 Mini ITX HTPC I build myself with a NVMe device as root partition, not an OEM laptop.

Simple reboot fixed it and no S.M.A.R.T. or error-log on the NVMe devices to be found.

No idea what caused it, but seeing the NVMe page fault errors mentioned in this article: there may be a bigger bug at play here.
        Last edited by emansom; 27 October 2023, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

I've never used this utility and I don't trust it. BIOS updates are distributed via Windows which I have left intact (just shrunk it as much as I could).
          Bioses distributed via fwupd would be signed and handled by HP...

Comment

Poor little s2idle, why is it always you? Almost as you were a terrible idea no one asked for...

Comment

Originally posted by mb_q View Post
              Poor little s2idle, why is it always you? Almost as you were a terrible idea no one asked for...
              Agreed , what is wrong with S3 sleep?

Comment

Originally posted by mb_q View Post
                s2idle has been a total shit show on many AMD laptops. This is one area where Intel machines are typically better behaved.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

s2idle has been a total shit show on many AMD laptops. This is one area where Intel machines are typically better behaved.
                  Well I cannot agree. I have Thinkpad T14 gen 3 (Intel) and I couldn't get any sleep mode working well.

Comment

i wonder if asus laptop has similar problems with nvme. ive tested a tuf 15 7940hs with an additional nvme intel ssd (im not sure the model) and after every reboot that ssd disappears completely (bios included). after shutdown everything is back. windows has no problem with that.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post
                      Totally not true.

Thinkpads from T, X, R lines always had internally developed BIOS, Synaptics Trackpoints and touchpads, etc. The same is true for hi-end Dell Latitudes, HP Elitebooks, all they user original Lenovo Trackpoints.

But cheap, consumer lenovos, HP or Dells always had outsourced buggy BIOSes, cheaper trackpoints/trackpads from Elan and other brands(Alps is hi-end in consumer).
                      Maybe I'm having a failure of understanding here, but if you have your own in-house developed firmware that you use for (premium) business notebook computers, then why buy-in a third-party version?

Is it because the in-house version doesn't support the cheap hardware? And adding the capability to the in-house version would cost more than buying in a lower quality firmware that does allow the cheap hardware to work adequately? A case of the bad driving out the good?

Comment

Working...
                      X