Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    Who is actually buying their stuff?

These people do not understand basic business principles, Linux, and open source software in general, appeals to people that do not like spending money, primarily on software, but also on hardware.

They are trying to create a "premium" laptop, to market it to
    ...people who want warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow
      Cheapskates like you aren't on anyone but a pawn shop's customer list so I doubt any other business like System76 (or even Dell or Lenovo) care what you think.
      That's a bit harsh. I've certainly rehabbed and gotten mileage out of old, free computers with a GNU/Linux distro over the years. I've also spent plenty of money at other times. But it's certainly different than being something like an Apple consumer, where you really have no choice but to spend a small fortune to do even basic web browsing.

Comment

These people do not understand basic business principles, Linux, and open source software in general, appeals to people that do not like spending money, primarily on software, but also on hardware.

They are trying to create a "premium" laptop, to market it to a bunch if cheapskates, me included, that would rather buy a used laptop from eBay or a previous gen laptop from Microcenter or Staples, and install whatever OS they want, in my case a Win 10 / Gecko Rolling dual boot.

These people really need to realize that they need to offer something unique if they plan on marketing a "premium" Linux based laptop at top dollar and honestly, i do not think anyone at the company has any clue how to do that.
        What... I use Linux because it's the best system for me. Not because I'm cheap. I I happily pay for great premium hardware.

What I don't like to pay for is crap, Like Windows for example.
        Last edited by dlq84; 29 May 2023, 03:29 PM.

Comment

They are trying to create a "premium" laptop, to market it to a bunch if cheapskates, me included, that would rather buy a used laptop from eBay or a previous gen laptop from Microcenter or Staples, and install whatever OS they want, in my case a Win 10 / Gecko Rolling dual boot.

These people really need to realize that they need to offer something unique if they plan on marketing a "premium" Linux based laptop at top dollar and honestly, i do not think anyone at the company has any clue how to do that.
          I guess I'm both. I like to use old Hardware. But i also tend to buy premium products especially if it works well together with Linux.

Comment

Don't feed the obvious troll.

Comment

They dont target the average linux user, they target enterprise and buissness.

Comment

Originally posted by Tian View Post

I don't think business people wants clevo laptop

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

I don't think business people wants clevo laptop
                  There is nothing wrong with Clevo, if you look at best Clevo laptops review, they actually prize their quality of making and long battery life. There were some clevo laptops (especially in the past) with too poor cooling performance but if system76 can design cooling etc. Clevo absolutly have good machinery to make it feel quality.

Comment

Those pictures made me think about an Thinkpad T60 i had long ago, it was one of the best laptop i ever owned.
                    It even had a light that lit up the keyboard from above where the camera are located now, i miss that little feature when traveling and i need to read something from a paper when it's dark like on a train.
                    Why doesn't laptops have that light anymore, using my smartphone as a flashlight isn't the same thing and it disturbs others.
                    A small LED that actually made a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Tian View Post

and, maybe indirectly, targeting the non linux user. S76 are the only linux devices I would feel remotely comfortable selling in a shop unless explictly asked, I have high hopes for cosmic to bring it close to the rest of the way there.

Comment

Working...
                      X