System76 Pangolin Makes For A Nice All-AMD Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post

Or you could just buy an apple if you wanted the closed apple ecosystem.....system 76 whole business model was based on Linux... Why would they change that?
    I don't think anyone confirmed pangolins transmitted COVID... This almost reads like a random ai generated post
    ChatGPT has invaded Phoronix now.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      And change that ridiculous name, Pangolins are the animals that were implicated in the transmission of Covid-19, you do not want your product associated with a disease that caused millions of deaths.

Good luck to you guys.
      Even if that were true, should we also change the name of companies named ISIS since the “bad ISIS” also killed numerous people, despite those companies being named after the goddess? And what about 7-Eleven? Sounds pretty close to 9/11 that killed numerous people. And since you're talking about Covid/Corona, what about the Corona beer brand? And …

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post

Absolutely! Once they get above $1K they absolutely must provide more than a generic 15" 1080P screen. I have been going with Lenovo recently since they provide AMD based notebooks with higher res 16" screens that use a taller screen. 16x9 is really a bad joke if you use the machine for work rather than play.
        I can absolutely understand how looking at 'the market' could lead the company towards their current screen options, but they should know that their customers are already seeking out a product that's going to be used a bit differently than a Vostro or a RoG thing, probably mostly developers and power users. Honestly, I'd rather have awesome screens and last year's CPUs than vice-versa.

Comment

I did not see it mentioned in the review but these laptops start at $1300; to me that's a but steep for a Linux based laptop.

Be that as it may, I think they can be very successful if they heed the advice I am about to give: take a page out of Apple's playbook and forget about offering a laptop using only GPL'd software.

I suggest you see this venture as building an ecosystem.

Move away from a Linux based OS, and switch to BSD, primarily because of the more commercial friendly license. The rust based COSMIC desktop you guys are working on? Do not release it to general availability, release it as part of a complete BSD OS and invest on creating the "killer app", the one or two pieces of software that runs exclusively on your OS, that people just must have.

Make it a survival horror game or a video editing app or a software developer IDE or some business/finance analysis software, something that reviewers will go crazy for and people will create hundreds of YouTube videos talking about.

You can turn System76 into a company that makes hundreds of millions of dollars a year, but you need to remove Linux from your business plan.

And change that ridiculous name, Pangolins are the animals that were implicated in the transmission of Covid-19, you do not want your product associated with a disease that caused millions of deaths.

Good luck to you guys.
          The only thing ridiculous here is this suggestion...

Comment

I'm sorry, can't buy.
            I'm too scared that a bioweapons lab near me will have a spill and will blame my Pangolin for it.

Comment

I did not see it mentioned in the review but these laptops start at $1300; to me that's a but steep for a Linux based laptop.

Be that as it may, I think they can be very successful if they heed the advice I am about to give: take a page out of Apple's playbook and forget about offering a laptop using only GPL'd software.

Move away from a Linux based OS, and switch to BSD, primarily because of the more commercial friendly license. The rust based COSMIC desktop you guys are working on? Do not release it to general availability, release it as part of a complete BSD OS and invest on creating the "killer app", the one or two pieces of software that runs exclusively on your OS, that people just must have.

Make it a survival horror game or a video editing app or a software developer IDE or some business/finance analysis software, something that reviewers will go crazy for and people will create hundreds of YouTube videos talking about.

You can turn System76 into a company that makes hundreds of millions of dollars a year, but you need to remove Linux from your business plan.

Good luck to you guys.
              just be honest how much has the deep state paid you for your post ?
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post

I can absolutely understand how looking at 'the market' could lead the company towards their current screen options, but they should know that their customers are already seeking out a product that's going to be used a bit differently than a Vostro or a RoG thing, probably mostly developers and power users. Honestly, I'd rather have awesome screens and last year's CPUs than vice-versa.
                companies, their majority of customers are from companies. Jeremy (I think?) said it in a podcast from linux for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                  Without coreboot these are pointless. AMD need to step up.
                  System 76 managed to boot Intel systems with only a reverse engineered IME stub, which enables them to use Coreboot and mostly neuters the Management Engine. This situation is probably why AMD released that AGESA PR blurb a while back about open sourcing part of AGESA to allow external header hooks for Coreboot - cuz right now I don't think it's possible.

Comment

Good luck to you guys.
                    Strange bait, but ok.

Comment

Any OEM that doesn't offer low-power Atom or Celeron laptops with socketed storage, I automatically disregard

As it is right now, only Russian and Chinese domestic OEMs sell such laptops.

Comment

Working...
                      X