Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Moblin V2 User Interface Is Very Impressive

Phoronix: The Moblin V2 User Interface Is Very Impressive

We first got excited for Moblin 2.0 back in January when seeing how fast this Linux distribution had booted on Atom-powered netbooks. This Fedora-derived distribution booted even faster with a newer development release that came out this past March. While Moblin 2.0 final is not yet released, there is now more to get excited over than just amazing boot times. Moblin 2.0 will introduce a Clutter-based user interface and from our initial encounters with this release, it is very impressive! In this article we have more information on this new UI along with screenshots and videos.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh my god! The volume goes up to 11!!

Comment

Holy crap! That's awesome! But I'm really sad Moblin doesn't support my Celeron M EEE 701... Anyone knows a way to hack it on my little Eee?

Comment

Let's see what KDE freetards have to say, "OMG it is so pretty...". Thank god Moblin uses GTK and GNOME programs. This is what happens when company works on a project, you get a software that doesn't suck as much other GNU projects e.g. KDE and actually works and makes you productive.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
          Let's see what KDE freetards have to say, "OMG it is so pretty...". Thank god Moblin uses GTK and GNOME programs. This is what happens when company works on a project, you get a software that doesn't suck as much other GNU projects e.g. KDE and actually works and makes you productive.
          That's nice. I'll take a look at it once it outperforms the KDE 4.2 currently running on my (less than 2 years old) eee701.

Comment

I don't get it, Moblin is free (as in beer and freedom). And KDE isn't a GNU project, Gnome and GTK are.

Comment

Originally posted by hakl View Post
              I don't get it, Moblin is free (as in beer and freedom). And KDE isn't a GNU project, Gnome and GTK are.
              So what, KDE is free as in beer and freedom too. In case you haven't heard QT is free now too.

Comment

Don't even try to compare Qt vs GTK . Just don't do it. GTK does its job good, but please avoid comparing a full featured framework to something like GTK.

Comment

For future rants, please note that KDE is NOT a GNU project. Thanks!

Comment

Don't even try to compare Qt vs GTK . Just don't do it. GTK does its job good, but please avoid comparing a full featured framework to something like GTK.

GTK is a widget toolkit. Gnome provides the entire application framework of which GTK is just one part. Gnome provides application developers with dbus interface, other various forms of IPC, audio frameworks like Gstreamer, Pulseaudio integration, GVFS virtual file system layers, configuration engine, telepathy for messaging services, etc etc. People can program in C, Python, or C# using the 'officially' installed Gnome stuff. They also provide some application suites, browsers, panels, user notification system, etc etc.

This is based on GTK and Gnome. It adds the Clutter interface which is a OpenGL accelerated, Scenegraph-based management system for application widgets as well as integration into network-based services.

This sort of thing kicks ass. It's definately going on my Mini9

It goes to show also that you don't have to rewrite stuff to get it to do cool cool things.

Comment

Working...
                    X