No announcement yet.

HP Dev One - A Great, Well Engineered AMD Ryzen Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am rather conflicted on weather I should keep my frame.work laptop pre-order with a 12th gen intel chip or I should get this HP laptop instead. I am not developer. I also selected 16GB on my fame.work build, (they are basically the same exact prices with taxes (shipping is free on both). I really wanted to support frame.work for its repair-ability / ability to upgrade parts myself.

Did I miss a section on battery life of the HP Dev One or is that missing?
    Last edited by castlefox; 13 June 2022, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Because it's part of what makes this not a dev laptop despite being marketed as such, of course neither is the Dell offering. It's a crappy ultrabook for hipsters in HR who aren't doing any real work.
      Please. Any laptop is a "dev laptop" if it's used for development. Everything else is just marketing BS and you're falling for it. A "dev laptop" merely needs to meet the needs of the person using it, it can have 4 GB of RAM and still be workable if that's all the person needs.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Please. Any laptop is a "dev laptop" if it's used for development. Everything else is just marketing BS and you're falling for it. A "dev laptop" merely needs to meet the needs of the person using it, it can have 4 GB of RAM and still be workable if that's all the person needs.
        Exactly. It offers 8c/16t with 16GB of RAM and one of the best iGPUs around. While that's more like 4GB Vram and 12GB RAM once you factor in the iGPU, that's still a pretty decent machine for all intents and purposes. And it can be upgraded to 64GB of memory. That should be plenty capable for most anyone doing work on the go. Especially since any dev worth their salt will SSH into their workstation that they use to do their intensive tasks.

I'm loling at a lot of these posts going, "It's not 64c128t with 256GB of ram with 2 RTX 4080s so it's not a capable dev laptop for my needs." Like, WTF are you doing that you need all that? Are you incapable of using SSH or some other remote option?

And I can understand the 1080p complaint....but I have a 4K monitor and, quite frankly, in my experiences over 1080p on Linux can be annoying due to how scaling just isn't as up to par as it is on Windows. While 2K might be a nice compromise if you don't need scaling with it with anything you do, 1080p just works without needing any scaling so that makes sense for a Linux targeted device.
        Last edited by skeevy420; 13 June 2022, 12:37 PM.

Comment

First so glad Michael that HP/System76 acknowledged the authority you are on Linux/*BSD/alt operating systems and sent you a review sample!
          Second, it has a track point like a ThinkPad! OMG that is awesome!
          Third, I wonder how good this laptop would work with a *BSD? Would be nice to note if it works with FreeBSD or OpenBSD, no performance reports needed just if it boots and can suspend and resume properly and accelerated graphics work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

Well, they're a direct competition to this one. My brother has one with M1 and it sets the bar really high.
            One of them runs a FOSS OS, the other runs the world's most proprietary OS. How are they in any sort of competition?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Because it's part of what makes this not a dev laptop despite being marketed as such, of course neither is the Dell offering. It's a crappy ultrabook for hipsters in HR who aren't doing any real work.
              Long time without seeing you on these forms Luke_wolf. In your mind what would make a good developer's laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

One of them runs a FOSS OS, the other runs the world's most proprietary OS. How are they in any sort of competition?
                No, it doesn't run Windows. In fact, it has a​​ unix OS and you're allowed to install other OSes of your choice - full linux support is in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                  what's this obsession HP has for the split up/down arrow keys? is there a petition somewhere for stopping this horrible nonsense on all of their bloody laptops? Thanks
                  Not all. Their OMEN line for gaming has awesome arrow keys.

Comment

FYI, several years ago I bought a generic thin/light HP laptop (one of their first Ryzen models) for my wife and after a little over a year (conveniently right after the warranty ran out) the thing had literally torn itself apart. The laptop has metal hinges for the screen which is fantastic, but the hinges are anchored into the plastic screen housing using pressure-fit screw mounts. The stress of opening and closing the laptop screen causes the plastic surrounding those screw mounts to fail and hinge ends up tearing itself out of the screen housing. Note that this laptop was otherwise in pristine condition and saw mild/gentle use. There are tons of reports with people having the exact same problem and HP claimed it was user wear and tear and was charging people hundreds of dollars (nearly half the value of the laptop) to fix it.

This model has a different hinge design so perhaps it is immune from this problem, but after seeing how poorly constructed the machine is over all I'll never purchase another HP laptop. The generic Chinese gaming laptop I got my daughter is far sturdier and easier to work on.

hp_hinge_flaw.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

No, it doesn't run Windows. In fact, it has a​​ unix OS and you're allowed to install other OSes of your choice - full linux support is in progress.
                      Whether it's an unix OS is totally irrelevant. It's the most proprietary, closed and locked down OS on the market. Windows is open source in comparison.

Comment

Working...
                      X