Linux 5.17 To Allow Setting Custom Fan Curves For ASUS ROG Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.17 To Allow Setting Custom Fan Curves For ASUS ROG Laptops

Phoronix: Linux 5.17 To Allow Setting Custom Fan Curves For ASUS ROG Laptops

The Linux kernel continues to see improvements around ASUS laptop support on Linux, but the contributions have not been coming directly from the company but rather the community and sometimes after reverse-engineering...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The suspend whilst on battery power has been fixed in 5.16-rc1 on the Asus Advantage laptop, looks like the only outstanding issue now is the wifi card not working on a warm boot / reboot

Comment

asus, I don't care about custom fan curves, I want firmware updates over fwupdate/LVFS and support for Coreboot.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        asus, I don't care about custom fan curves, I want firmware updates over fwupdate/LVFS and support for Coreboot.
        As mentioned in the article ASUS has nothing to do with this. I did this work on my own (I am the patch author).

Coreboot is absolutely not going to happen unless someone pays me for my time. fwupdate/LVFS *may* happen, but honestly ASUS aren't in the habit of doing bios updates unless there are issues with it.

Comment

Originally posted by fluke View Post

As mentioned in the article ASUS has nothing to do with this. I did this work on my own (I am the patch author).

Coreboot is absolutely not going to happen unless someone pays me for my time. fwupdate/LVFS *may* happen, but honestly ASUS aren't in the habit of doing bios updates unless there are issues with it.
          Thank you for contributions!

Too bad it had to be a volunteer effort and Asus didn't do it themselves as they suppose to. My choice of laptop is Dell.

Comment

Originally posted by fluke View Post

Awesome! Thanks for your efforts. Is this only for Asus laptops, or motherboards too?
            I use the wonderful asus-wmi-sensors kernel module to read sensor/fan info but it can't set them.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Thank you for contributions!

Too bad it had to be a volunteer effort and Asus didn't do it themselves as they suppose to. My choice of laptop is Dell.
            Yes, I like Dell's long-term BIOS support. A 5 year old Latitude getting two dozen updates? Who else does that?

Comment

Originally posted by blueweb View Post
              Yes, I like Dell's long-term BIOS support. A 5 year old Latitude getting two dozen updates? Who else does that?
              That is awful!
              Is any other manufacturer better?

I think maybe Lenovo has more firmware updates.

Comment

Working...
              X