PinePhone Pro Announced As New Linux Smartphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    I was talking implicitely about my country, as I've done explicitely since the 2nd message I posted in this topic. Please follow before being insulting.
    I can read, I get it that in some countries they still use those in the same way they and we did 15 years ago. You're late to the party an forgot to contextualize.
    You were responding to someone who was also talking about their country, and did not mention that this comment was not explicit and then you immediately talk about how other countries were doing the same. not exactly explicit.

There's nothing preventing you from relying on those for your communication. I respect you don't want to use it, I've never said you are lame if you (still) do.
    I'm saying in my country people don't use SMS much anymore. And they don't use MMS as it never really took off.
    The problem is you're trying to interpret things negatively as if I was mocking people while I've just been explaining the objective reasons why people have moved on (here).
    you explicitly said,
    You'll see and understand the practicality someday, when it reaches your (beautiful) country
    You didn't say lame, you said outdated. that IS negative, maybe not necessarily mocking, but the implication is that it is a better service, when it is just different NOT better.

There's nothing I can do to change this, and it's irrelevant. It works and it's not the end of the world either, but it's just a bit less practical. And the "a bit" is enough for people to favour the other option.
    It is relevant, because you explicitly said he was wrong.

You're taking this the "heads up your own arse" way. It's not about people being too dumb to find a spot. I don't want that either. It's about meeting more casually, without constraints of waiting on a specific spot for minutes without knowing where your friend is and you can estimate how late he/she will be.
    You can also close the distance without missing the person.
    I honestly still don't see how that would be any more beneficial than asking to meet by the local coffee shop, the train stop or something along those lines. But granted I haven't met anyone in the larger cities for a few months.

Congratulations, you fall into the category of conceited persons who just don't get the context and give themselves too much self-importance.
    SMS and MMS are still used, sure, I've never said otherwise, but by a minority of people in my country (even old last resisting people have partially moved), while it was the normal thing 15-10 years ago.
    It's not just me and my peers, and SMS statistics here confirm it. MMS have never been a thing though (again, h-e-r-e, since you are slow), so people don't care about those. Which is the common thread and the reason of my initial remark. I was surprised it was not the case everywhere, yes. But I've already processed this and focused on my country instead of globalizing.
    again, you were not explicit about it you specifically talking about your own country, in fact I went back and re-read all of your comments on this thread so I could correct myself if I did misconstrue anything (as YES, I did read all of the comments), and never a single time did you make it clear you were only talking about your own country, you DID specify you were talking about you own country when you made some statements, but never once did you make it clear.

Nope. That's not it. There's a major drop in SMS usage here, and it started 5+ years ago. Other countries follow a similar trend. While other countries haven't yet (they might never but I bet they will), and indeed you can do most of the normal stuff in a basic way with SMS or MMS.
    Once again, I haven't said otherwise. I've focused on the reasons why they are much less used in my country these days.

You and jo-erlend are taking a defensive position while I'm not even attacking you. You're making a drama out of it because of a misinterpretation and it's a pity.
    Maybe we did get your intentions wrong, and if did misinterpret you, My sincere apologies, but you did NOT make it clear that you were talking about your country specifically, then called us outdated or that we were "Missing the practicality" of it;

You're being ridiculous. I live in a 2 million people city at the heart of Europe. And apparently, from what you say, you still live in 2005 where SMS, voice mails and video calls were a thing
    I'm not complaining about ANYTHING. I'm saying people haven't used any of the things you mention here in 10-12 years. You'll see and understand the practicality someday, when it reaches your (beautiful) country.
    which intended or not, implies that we are either behind the times, or are for some reason unable to come to the same conclusion as you. which YES, is a negative thing, whether it was your intention or not, but regardless of intention or not it WAS insulting and an attack.

I realize what Jo said could and possibly was taken in a similar manor, but that is not my point

Comment

• Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
      LOL, thanks for that. I searched and it made for a very funny saturday read. Though I wasn't expecting to find such conspiracy-theory FUD nonsense on a tech-savvy community like this.

Matrix is more sound for obvious reasons, but there's nothing wrong with Signal.
      Its not conspiracy, its facts , in Signal a lot of development is done or was done by NSA programmers...this information is in the public domain!

Comment

• Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
        Its not conspiracy, its facts , in Signal a lot of development is done or was done by NSA programmers...this information is in the public domain!
        I don't see why this is an issue. signal is open source, AND proven in court. if you dont like the app I can understand, but you can just use other apps, If you don't like the protocol, I assume you hate tor and over 50% of other forms of security related stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
          This is one of those funny things where the left and right hands of the government and inside government departments don't really understand each other.

National Security Agency and Australian Signals Directorate and most other military communication groups have this horrible problem internal problem.
          1) They want to intercept and be able to process all communication.
          2) They need their own communication and parties they are dealing with to be secret/secure.

Notice that 1 and 2 are basically mutually exclusive, Please note NSA programmers is not exactly right. Lot of Signal was developed by NSA contracted programmers. This seams like a minor difference but its quite major. They in fact were employees of a third party companies. Due to be being contracted as far as anyone can tell they were only given the second directive "They need their own communication and parties they are dealing with to be secret/secure.".

So at times NSA is working for us for privacy because they are attempting to protect their own privacy and at other times they are our worse enemy for privacy. It all depends what department inside the NSA with what departments core objectives are and what contracts they put out to tender.

Yes you can have the funny one where the NSA puts out a contract to one set of programmers to make something like signal more secure at the same time putting out a contract to make flaw in something like signal. Yes this duality will normally be contracts from different departments inside the NSA. Because there is departments for collection of information and there are departments for keeping USA government and military operations and supply lines communication secure.

Yes everything like the NSA is very two faced.

The departments for protecting USA government and military operations and supply lines communications like everything they use open source and massively peer reviewed and contracted out. Yes why contracted out because they fear that their own internal staff cannot be trusted.

The departments for collection intelligence basically almost the exact other way. As they prefer to use their own internal staff where possible and if they contract out they prefer to keep this under NDA and closed to the public.

There is a true wacky here the departments for collection of intelligence is going to be asking departments for protecting communications to make communications more secure then be making presentations that the departments for protecting communications has been too successful so under mining their means to collect communications. Of course once department for collection intelligence get something that can break communications the fear this leaking to the enemy so goes and asks the departments for protecting communications to make communications more secure.

Ying and Yang is very good item to put a picture for what these so call intelligence groups for military are really like. Yes they are truly running around and around in a circle.

The joke of this is military comminations groups have done the closet thing to a real world perpetual motion machine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mez' View Post

Not true, voice messages arrive as a SMS from which you have to click on the referenced number with a link so as to call it, then you hear "you have one new message" and then you can only hear said message. On whatsapp you just press play.
            Yes, this is 2021 and it's crazy you have to go through that hassle of the 1990's with voice messages why the likes of Whatsapp and Telegram have it instantaneously.
            I get my voice mails as MMS on my phone. I don't have to dial any numbers. It's been like this for as long as I can remember. I'm not even sure I _can_ dial a number to get my voice mails. As I said, I remember that it was like that a long, long time ago.

Cool story. But in reality people use it quite a bit. Either with friends and especially to meet dates you've never met before (meeting through dating apps). It's more and more common to casually set a place and find yourselves from there. Then again, you seem to live with a few years of delay.
            What does one have to do with another? I have GPS. Why would I be unable to find another human without Facebook?

You're being ridiculous. I live in a 2 million people city at the heart of Europe. And apparently, from what you say, you still live in 2005 where SMS, voice mails and video calls were a thing.
            In my country, those services are not bad like they apparently are in yours. You think we're backwards because our technologies are more modern? It's a weird concept that is very difficult to understand.

I'm not complaining about ANYTHING. I'm saying people haven't used any of the things you mention here in 10-12 years. You'll see and understand the practicality someday, when it reaches your (beautiful) country.
            Really? You think that we don't have access to Facebook in Norway? I had internet video conferencing in 1994. We had free ad-based phone calls in 1990, I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
              National Security Agency and Australian Signals Directorate and most other military communication groups have this horrible problem internal problem.
              1) They want to intercept and be able to process all communication.
              2) They need their own communication and parties they are dealing with to be secret/secure.
              The US gooberment value their privacy over being able to compromise it FAR more, the more shady parts couldn't give two shits about compromising something like signal or other privacy related technologies outside of doing it to better bolster the tech. being private for them is far more valuable, which is why they end up open sourcing a lot of their tools, as they realize the potential contributions of the general privacy interested programmers, will wind up being far greater than the negatives.

Comment

Working...
              X