Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Increasing Importance Of ACPI Platform Profiles With Today's Throttle-Happy Hardware

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Increasing Importance Of ACPI Platform Profiles With Today's Throttle-Happy Hardware

    Phoronix: The Increasing Importance Of ACPI Platform Profiles With Today's Throttle-Happy Hardware

    As covered several times going back to the end of last year, ACPI Platform Profile support has materialized in recent versions of the Linux kernel for the core infrastructure and implementations that work with the latest laptops from the likes of Dell, Lenovo, ASUS, and HP. This platform profile support is becoming increasingly important with expressing your power/cooling/performance preference so that your laptop behaves as one would expect...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Profiles-Axboe

  • #2
    Lmao.. sorry to laugh, but that's so ridiculous. I mean I understand, but man is he being generous with "stupid throttling."

    like compiling the Linux kernel while running on AC as it ends up throttling all the way down to 400MHz...
    Again, man is he being generous. I mean, that's on AC power!! Seriously no excuse for that. Surprised no one noticed earlier.

    Hate to be annoying, another reason why I'm happy on older hardware sometimes. And also why I run on "performance" all the time. I'm not looking for any gotchas. (Yes, I understand notebooks make sense to use ondemand, not saying don't).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
      Lmao.. sorry to laugh, but that's so ridiculous. I mean I understand, but man is he being generous with "stupid throttling."



      Again, man is he being generous. I mean, that's on AC power!! Seriously no excuse for that. Surprised no one noticed earlier.

      Hate to be annoying, another reason why I'm happy on older hardware sometimes. And also why I run on "performance" all the time. I'm not looking for any gotchas. (Yes, I understand notebooks make sense to use ondemand, not saying don't).
      IMHO the problem is more about themal- and power budget. so performance governeur doesnt really help.
      esp with very thin devices its impossible to cool it down when they run at max speed for a longer term. they are made for bursts

      Comment


      • #4
        Considering it's a high end device (for a laptop anyway), I find it unacceptable to be that extreme. Specially, I think it's a very bad move commercially speaking. The guy knows what throttling is and how to solve it, but your regular consumer doesn't. So, what most consumers will see is a very expensive piece of equipment is "slow". That's not good for the brand.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by flower View Post

          IMHO the problem is more about themal- and power budget. so performance governeur doesnt really help.
          esp with very thin devices its impossible to cool it down when they run at max speed for a longer term. they are made for bursts
          Thanks for catching that. I saw "performance" and immediately assumed performance governor.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
            Considering it's a high end device (for a laptop anyway), I find it unacceptable to be that extreme. Specially, I think it's a very bad move commercially speaking. The guy knows what throttling is and how to solve it, but your regular consumer doesn't. So, what most consumers will see is a very expensive piece of equipment is "slow". That's not good for the brand.
            The lion share of their users use Windows and they made sure it works as intended there, so it'll never change. It'll only get worse. Ever since software modems they have been turning more and more perfectly working hardware solutions into half-assed software solutions because it's cheaper and allows for refinements after the sale. And if you're not running the software they want you to run, you're often left with a sub-optimal working device.

            Comment


            • #7
              This means that Linux Oses are unable to manage throttling correctly?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by remenic View Post

                The lion share of their users use Windows and they made sure it works as intended there, so it'll never change. It'll only get worse. Ever since software modems they have been turning more and more perfectly working hardware solutions into half-assed software solutions because it's cheaper and allows for refinements after the sale. And if you're not running the software they want you to run, you're often left with a sub-optimal working device.
                I assumed the problem was much more global, independent of OS. After all, isn't this handled by the firmware by default? Or does this only happen on Linux?
                Regarding after sale improvements, the reviews will be there mostly from early adopters I think, so it's still not the best move marketing wise.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Platform profiles don't even work on amd lenovos, pffft. well at least I don't get any stupid throttling, but I don't get battery save either

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I wish the ThinkPad never became thinner. It's a work laptop, not a toy. Why is "thick" not OK nowadays?
                    Reducing the cooling to a minimum just to make it thinner for absolutely NO reason other than following a dumb trend is just terrible, and even more so for a ThinkPad.

                    This is what a true ThinkPad looked like:

                    Last edited by tildearrow; 17 September 2021, 02:22 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X