Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Has An Important Suspend/Resume Fix With Linux 5.15

Phoronix: AMD Has An Important Suspend/Resume Fix With Linux 5.15

Since last year AMD has been working to get its s2idle / suspend-to-idle S0ix sleep state code in order for supporting this lowest power platform idle state on newer AMD laptops and there has also been other AMD suspend/resume improvements in recent times. Now with the Linux 5.15 kernel cycle is an important fix for the AMD s2idle code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good, maybe they will switch Vega power management crashes in the future too ?

Comment

Always happy for more s2idle/S0ix fixes!

Sent from my Asus Zephyrus G14

Comment

Is Linux capable of using s0ix for runtime powersaving on AMD hardware nowadays? I remember it resulted in significant improvements on Intel.

Comment

Do any of these updates happen to fix / enable waking the computer while docked? :fingers_crossed:

Comment

The problem is that docks more of the time, are tied to propietary circuitry that usually comes with their own binaries for windows. There are some that can be used with ACPI methods, but since ACPI is something that Satan can be very proud of, anything is possible.

Comment

I have a T14 running Pop! OS, if i put the laptop to sleep (S3) overnight it looses 10-15% battery.
              Seems to effect heaps of AMD laptops, theres an 80 page thread of frustrated people here that just got locked after them saying its sort of fixed.. Valid points though that its not just on Lenovo to resolve

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
                I have a T14 running Pop! OS, if i put the laptop to sleep (S3) overnight it looses 10-15% battery.
                Are you sure that's S3? It's not uncommon for S3 to be replaced with s0ix/s2idle now which is more fussy about properly entering power efficient states. Lenovo on some of it's premium products has in the past allowed Linux users to go into BIOS and change to S3 mode instead, but I think Windows/Microsoft has been pushing the "Modern Sleep" (s0ix) mode and apparently that isn't compatible with S3, it's either or thing at BIOS level or something :S

I have same issue with a 2019Q3 Acer with Intel IIRC, but the display model uses an old eDP version preventing it from doing efficient low power states causing similar battery drains so I just hibernate it.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Are you sure that's S3?
                  I'm not 100% sure but in the BIOS you can choose sleep state -> windows or linux.. which I believe is switching between s3 and s0ix. I dont think it matters though in that thread there is drain in both modes

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
                    Seems to effect heaps of AMD laptops, theres an 80 page thread of frustrated people here that just got locked after them saying its sort of fixed.. Valid points though that its not just on Lenovo to resolve

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-L...5037674?page=1
                    I'll admit it's been a while since I've cared about sleep/suspend/resume etc, but the last time I actually put a laptop to sleep a loss of 10-15% overnight wasn't unusual... hibernate was OK, but sleep would drain around that over night. This was for Windows; at the time I didn't have Linux on there as I'm not a fan of dual booting off the same disk.

Comment

Working...
                    X