Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.12 Will Avoid Prematurely Shutting Down Intel Mobile Systems When Running Hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.12 Will Avoid Prematurely Shutting Down Intel Mobile Systems When Running Hot

Phoronix: Linux 5.12 Will Avoid Prematurely Shutting Down Intel Mobile Systems When Running Hot

Linux 5.12 with queued thermal changes will avoid prematurely shutting down mobile Intel workstations when a "critical" thermal threshold is reached that isn't too critical...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The fact that such a patch is needed is certainly telling. We have intel chips using "turbo-boost" to grossly exceed their published TDP. Combined with laptops competing on how thin and light they can be.

A good chip cooler is neither thin nor light. A good laptop CPU does not grossly exceed TDP. The combination of both makes for a miserable user experience with lower than expected battery life, inconsistent performance, a scorching hot machine, and annoyingly loud fans.

It's these idiotic design decisions that have turned me off from laptops altogether.

Comment

I would just like if they could actually spin the fan to full before you hit 100C. It is really silly 100C is both the high limit for full fan speed, and the critical limit.

Comment

Intel laptops will make you sing hot potato too... https://youtu.be/0v4-eAefurY?t=4

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          A good chip cooler is neither thin nor light. A good laptop CPU does not grossly exceed TDP. The combination of both makes for a miserable user experience with lower than expected battery life, inconsistent performance, a scorching hot machine, and annoyingly loud fans.

It's these idiotic design decisions that have turned me off from laptops altogether.
          Aliens predicted a future where laptops get thick again, thermals are probably outstanding. There are also face hugging Aliens but it still seems better IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            A good chip cooler is neither thin nor light.
            Good chip cooler will be able to process enough heat compared to its size. That's it.

Combining a tiny cooler with an overheating CPU does not make the cooler bad, it's just a stupid thing to do. And the blame for overheating still falls on the CPU alone.

Comment

"Critical", but not "too critical"? Right.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                I would just like if they could actually spin the fan to full before you hit 100C. It is really silly 100C is both the high limit for full fan speed, and the critical limit.
                Lousy fan temperature settings are the reason I only use fanless Apollo Lake or Gemini Lake laptops nowadays, which are apparently quite popular with domestic Chinese OEMs. Without a fan, i don't have to worry about blocking the vents, or having the chip get too hot that it goes batshit crazy with its throttling. I can use it on the sofa, on the bed, on my lap, etc.

It's very fortunate that my computing needs for work are light enough that such low-power processors are sufficient enough to take care of them. And if I ever need something more powerful, there's my i7 Skylake laptop or my dual Xeon and Threadripper workstations standing by.

Comment

Intel has become a complete joke. They marketed defective (security-wise) CPUs as "secure" and market their old, overclocked CPU designs as 100W when the TDP actually is over 200W.

Comment

Working...
                  X