No announcement yet.

HP ZBook Studio G7 Aims To Attract Linux Developers, Data Scientists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the reviewer or anyone who’s had a HP Linux machine. If I need to restore or reinstall the laptop, does HP provide an Ubuntu installation image on their website?

Comment

Originally posted by JosiahBradley View Post
      You literally cannot buy this from HP, selecting Linux removes the option for keyboard (wtf) as it's listed as a Windows only feature. This means you can't add it to the cart as it's missing a keyboard. You also need to select a RTX 3000 minimum card to use the data science option at 4 grand (if you could buy it). I'm really interested in a Linux Laptop but until big box vendors figure out how to make a website, I'll stick with the botiques.
      ???

When I went to have a look out of curiosity when the article was originally posted, I had no trouble adding it to my cart.

I went to check. I followed the link to HP.com in the last page of the article, which takes to you the page for this laptop. I clicked "Customize & Buy". I then clicked the "Data Science" pre-config (which is basically every option maxed except the SSD) and then "Add to Cart", which succeeded. Although I went no further after that point.

I further got no error when I selected the base config and then manually chose Ubuntu Linux 20.04.

Your criticism regarding being unable to select the Data Science stack without selecting the RTX card is confirmed.

Tried on Chrome 89 and Firefox 86.

If you're that interested, I'd try again.

It does seem that in an attempt to make the configure page idiot proof, they've turned around and made some stupid choices with regards to how it interacts with the selected options. I don't really find that page terribly intuitive - although I've seen worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

???

When I went to have a look out of curiosity when the article was originally posted, I had no trouble adding it to my cart.
        It's been a month and I can reproduce the error on Desktop Linux using Firefox 87, however was able to get past it. Originally on mobile I get the keyboard is required error, but no option to choose one, however on desktop I get the same error but am given a choice of 2 keyboards. It's a really bad mobile site and was super slow.

I don't know what is up with OEM customizers these days but they keep getting worse over the decades. Lenovo's page won;t even get past the JavaScript loading for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by JosiahBradley View Post
          I don't know what is up with OEM customizers these days but they keep getting worse over the decades.
          Agreed. Web gets more and more bloated. I watched a site download over 10MB of data yesterday... to display seven paragraphs of text and a small header image. That cannot be efficient for anyone!

Comment

Working...
          X