Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sailfish OS 4.0.1 No Longer Support The Jolla Phone But Has Many Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Ok cool, but what's the plan? Where is this going?
    There is Sailfish OS-based Aurora OS funded by Russian government (biggest telecommunication company) and it is developed by Jolla. And apart from from a few specific apps for it it is mostly the same OS, so it is very unlikely for Sailfish OS to die in next few years.

Comment

I'm a Sailfish OS user since day one started with the Jolla and now running on the Xperia X. Jolla seem to have lost all notion of "goals" a long time ago and seems to just be drifting into more buggy mess as the time goes.

They have such a nice stack tho it's infuriating. All they'd need to do to get something interesting going is to get a fairly recent device supported well enough and concentrate on getting the big bugs fixed. There are issues 5+ years old on the thing now, big issues that people keep reporting details about that didn't get fixed yet.

I use it because I refuse to Goolify or Appli-fy, but man I wished there was an alternative.
      Last edited by Almindor; 08 February 2021, 01:01 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I was one of the pre-orders of the original Jolla phone and I was happy with it. My biggest issue was of course the lack of widely used apps, most importantly BankID, an electronic identification software that is used for everything in Sweden nowadays, and the fact that the hardware was getting older and a replacement never came. A shame, we need a free smartphone OS that isn't owned by Google.
        Jolly has a nice stack, I agree, but they need a focused goal and manpower to reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
          I'm a Sailfish OS user since day one started with the Jolla and now running on the Xperia X. Jolla seem to have lost all notion of "goals" a long time ago and seems to just be drifting into more buggy mess as the time goes.

They have such a nice stack tho it's infuriating. All they'd need to do to get something interesting going is to get a fairly recent device supported well enough and concentrate on getting the big bugs fixed. There are issues 5+ years old on the thing now, big issues that people keep reporting details about that didn't get fixed yet.

I use it because I refuse to Goolify or Appli-fy, but man I wished there was an alternative.
          The issue is that Sonys AOSP is not allways the best, per device the quality varies, just see the difference between Xperia XA2 vs Xperia 10. Also there are bugs in the vendor blobs that you can't fix.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post

You forgot to mention that this shit isn't even free. If you buy an Xperia 10, you have to shill out more cash for the Sailfish X. And once you upgrade your phone, you have to purchase Sailfish X yet again. Licenses cannot even be migrated from one device to another.

Because every Sailfish X is a new hardware adaption, possibly a new android version.
            Also between the first and the second Sailfish X there was an entirely new Alien Dalvik which required a huge amount of work as you can imagine.
            If you count in the hardware adaption it could be more expensive..

Comment

This was a real good update i am very pleased with it, this was the best update in a very long time.
              Originally posted by Almindor View Post
              I'm a Sailfish OS user since day one started with the Jolla and now running on the Xperia X.
              Upgrade from Xperia X to XA2 plus was the best thing i did my only regret was that i didn't upgrade sooner.
              Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
              I was one of the pre-orders of the original Jolla phone and I was happy with it. My biggest issue was of course the lack of widely used apps, most importantly BankID, an electronic identification software that is used for everything in Sweden nowadays, and the fact that the hardware was getting older and a replacement never came. A shame, we need a free smartphone OS that isn't owned by Google.
              Jolly has a nice stack, I agree, but they need a focused goal and manpower to reach it.
              I use BankID and Swish on SailfishOS but you need the newer android support that comes with XA2 and 10.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Ok cool, but what's the plan? Where is this going?
                xperia 10 ii

been using it for two years now on my xperia xa2 plus. it's rough, but i'm quite happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                  This was a real good update i am very pleased with it, this was the best update in a very long time.

Upgrade from Xperia X to XA2 plus was the best thing i did my only regret was that i didn't upgrade sooner.
                  Does the XA2 run the latest android now? Is it stable-ish?

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post

The issue is that Sonys AOSP is not allways the best, per device the quality varies, just see the difference between Xperia XA2 vs Xperia 10. Also there are bugs in the vendor blobs that you can't fix.
                    is one better than the other?
                    speaking as an xa2 plus user...

Comment

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post

There is Sailfish OS-based Aurora OS funded by Russian government (biggest telecommunication company) and it is developed by Jolla. And apart from from a few specific apps for it it is mostly the same OS, so it is very unlikely for Sailfish OS to die in next few years.
                      I meant what's the added value? What does it do that others don't? What does it do better than others?

Comment

Working...
                      X