Kubuntu Focus M2 Launched As Latest KDE-Friendly Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deppman View Post

This has triple monitor support with USBC + HDMI + mDP. It can support up to 2 8k monitors and a 4k. I used it every day with 3 x 4k @60Hz with just 3 cables. See the attached image.

​​​​​​https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uFB...CgXzRbguP/view
    Nice setup...how do you get any work done on such a clean desk? Or did you clean for the picture?
    GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
      Nice setup...how do you get any work done on such a clean desk? Or did you clean for the picture?
      That's pretty much how I work. All notes and records are electronic. The only additional items often on the table are a tea cup, a cell phone, and a microfiber cloth. The 3 x 4K monitors were $750 total from CDW.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
        Oh, forgot to mention, I am not using fractional scaling here. I found a long time ago that simply setting the DPI to 150% ( System Settings > Fonts > [x] Force DPI [144] ) works really well for KDE. You can see the laptop display shows a bit large, but then you are sitting further away and have 3 other big screens. It's a great setup for development where you need multiple apps running at once.

Comment

Everytime I hear some idiot saying about Nvidia tearing issues, me as Kubuntu and Nvidia user on desktop pc and Kubuntu + intel + nvidia on laptop I am like you can enable in nvidia driver force full composition pipeline and all tearing for me are gone. And after that you have really without any trouble expierience.

That is literally 1 click away to good expierience. And about optimus mode, from one side there is trouble with that, from 2nd side even disabling optimus only for sake of intel GPU somehow doesn't yield much better battery life in linux then nvidia gpu only (in my case, in windows that is not true at all, somehow CPU runs a lot more power in linux)
          Last edited by piotrj3; 10 October 2020, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
            Everytime I hear some idiot saying about Nvidia tearing issues, me as Kubuntu and Nvidia user on desktop pc and Kubuntu + intel + nvidia on laptop I am like you can enable in nvidia driver force full composition pipeline and all tearing for me are gone. And after that you have really without any trouble experience.

That is literally 1 click away to good experience. And about optimus mode, from one side there is trouble with that, from 2nd side even disabling optimus only for sake of intel GPU somehow doesn't yield much better battery life in linux then nvidia gpu only (in my case, in windows that is not true at all, somehow CPU runs a lot more power in linux)
            I agree on the Nvidia tearing issue. Never an issue here.

On your second point, you can double your battery life (from ~3.5 to ~7 hours on the M2) by using the iGPU only if you power down the dGPU. Otherwise it continues to draw power even though it is not used. The Focus applies a series of controls to ensure this happens. PM me if you'd like to get more insight. The nvidia-on-demand mode is useful to reserve the dGPU for compute while using the iGPU for display; however, because it uses both GPUs it does not provide as much of a battery boost.

Comment

Working...
            X