Kubuntu Focus M2 Launched As Latest KDE-Friendly Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
    Still waiting for any linux friendly model with native triple monitor out support..
    This has triple monitor support with USBC + HDMI + mDP. It can support up to 2 8k monitors and a 4k. I used it every day with 3 x 4k @60Hz with just 3 cables. See the attached image.

​​​​​​https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uFB...CgXzRbguP/view

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Yes you would.

Some of us did not have a choice. When your laptop BIOS battery goes dead less than 24 hours prior to leaving on a professional trip and you need a new one, you get what you can that will meet your requirements - especially if you have to configure it before you go. Was it my ideal choice? No. Did it fit the needs for my job? Yes. Am I going to replace it now? When it dies.
      GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
        > Kubuntu is [...]

Kubuntu 20.04 works well. I work with it every day. In fact, I'm using it right now to write those messages. And anyone can try it using a Kubuntu virtual machine: https://www.linuxvmimages.com/images/kubuntu-2004/ and later seeing it for himself.
        One can also download the focus virtual appliance at https://kfocus.org/try/

Comment

Funny that everyone is knocking Nvida Optimus, but I've seen plenty of reports of reports of poor discrete GPU performance on Intel/AMD and AMD/AMD setups.
          And Optimus got a lot better/easier with the 450.x driver.

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
          Yes you would.
          Don't underestimate peoples' ability to be rabid fanboys/girls.

Comment

Originally posted by deppman View Post

This has triple monitor support with USBC + HDMI + mDP. It can support up to 2 8k monitors and a 4k. I used it every day with 3 x 4k @60Hz with just 3 cables. See the attached image.

​​​​​​https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uFB...CgXzRbguP/view
            That is good to know, thanks for sharing. I only wish it was a full ryzen.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
              > Kubuntu is [...]

Kubuntu 20.04 works well. I work with it every day. In fact, I'm using it right now to write those messages. And anyone can try it using a Kubuntu virtual machine: https://www.linuxvmimages.com/images/kubuntu-2004/ and later seeing it for himself.
              I have no preconceptions about any distribution, however from my experience the best choice would have been openSUSE Leap 15.2
              For some reason openSUSE manages to do a fantastic job on KDE, including fixes, which in Kubuntu never seems to arrive.

Comment

If someone has to support a system, it's understandable that an operating system with technical support available is chosen (like Kubuntu). To achieve that: Long-Term Support releases are used, etc.

Those factors also facilitate a lot the path of open source / free software in companies .
                Last edited by Nth_man; 08 October 2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Kubuntu + Nvidia = Horrible combination for KDE users
                  Most of the time, a system like this will be running on the Intel GPU and only using theNvidia GPU for games and compute.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Most of the time, a system like this will be running on the Intel GPU and only using theNvidia GPU for games and compute.
                    While I agree aside from edge-cases*, tearing and other issues with KWin when playing games or when using intensive 3D applications doesn't make their choice of DE and graphics hardware any better.

*like people forcing the Nvidia GPU all the time because they're always on AC power and treat it like a desktop

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

While I agree aside from edge-cases*, tearing and other issues with KWin when playing games or when using intensive 3D applications doesn't make their choice of DE and graphics hardware any better.

*like people forcing the Nvidia GPU all the time because they're always on AC power and treat it like a desktop
                      I do have the edge-case you referred to. My laptop HDMI port only works with the nVidia graphics and I use an external monitor with the laptop monitor when I am plugged in. So I have forced both windows and linux on my dual boot laptop to use nVidia when plugged in so I have the external monitor. When I am on the road, I force them both to use the intel graphics for power reasons - and because when unplugged, I am obviously not using an external monitor. I have had no issues with either set of drivers on either operating system.
                      GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Working...
                      X