No announcement yet.

System76 Preparing Coreboot Laptop With Core i9 10900K, Up To 128GB RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like there might also be a market for a Ryzen 3rd (or upcoming 4th) gen CPU + an RDNA2 mobile GPU then?

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
      I must be missing something, why would anyone need 128GB of ram, in dual channel mode, coupled with a 10C/20T processor? Such a configuration would be nearly 13GB of ram per physical core or 6.4GB of ram per virtual core; I can't think of any application that needs that much ram per core and even if there was such an application it's nearly a certainty that it would benefit for from additional bandwidth than capacity.

To me this is the equivalent of shoehorning a bored out 454 big block into a VW Beetle.
      Well, GTA V is somewhere around 100GB so you'd need at least that + 16GB of ram to run it from a ram disk. 128GB is just enough so you can do that and run Firefox with a bunch of tabs open.

Most people would do something like 9VMs with ~12GB memory per VM and the rest held over for host use, but me, I'd do some dumbass shit like running my games from ram.

Comment

Hope they start looking at Ryzen apu's for the 5000 launch. Clevo seems to be a year behind on the AMD side. They'll need a better vendor.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
          I must be missing something, why would anyone need 128GB of ram, in dual channel mode, coupled with a 10C/20T processor? Such a configuration would be nearly 13GB of ram per physical core or 6.4GB of ram per virtual core; I can't think of any application that needs that much ram per core and even if there was such an application it's nearly a certainty that it would benefit for from additional bandwidth than capacity.
          Back in 2017 I worked with a ThreadRipper 1950x, 16 cores 32 threads, 128GB of RAM, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x Nvidia Titan XP and 1x 1080Ti. Each resource was heavily used, GPUs ran at 100% utilization and RAM was effectively at capacity, possibly spilling into up to 400GB of paged memory on that NVMe disk sometimes IIRC. It was processing data for about 2 weeks straight 24/7, photogrammetry (taking a bunch of photos from many angles and reconstructing an object or scene in digital 3D).

My personal machine at home only has 32GB of RAM and I often fill that up with stuff like web browser usage during research (takes a while to get to that point and is mostly bad habit of not taking the time to stop and archive my open tabs into notes, if I don't need the tab I close it and get back to it eventually). My GPU is only a GTX 1070, it has 8GB of vRAM, and that's rather limiting for compute work that I like to do, would love those 32GB models or more, but y'know $$$.

I'm sure there are plenty of other valid ways not mentioned so far that can utilize a large amount of RAM, I know people in photogrammetry field that use 2TB or more of RAM for computing much larger projects.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Well, GTA V is somewhere around 100GB so you'd need at least that + 16GB of ram to run it from a ram disk. 128GB is just enough so you can do that and run Firefox with a bunch of tabs open.
            Unreal Engine 4 requires around 100GB of storage to compile IIRC, so RAM is preferable for that speed wise I think :P

Comment

The tweet says the truth:

it's like driving an M1 Abrams as your daily driver
              . In other words it's ridiculous and makes no sense. To answer Larabel's question:
              There is no word yet on pricing, weight, or battery life
              , the answer is "too expensive, too heavy, and too short".

I guess that I applaud this, but almost nobody is going to buy it. I assume they'll offer a reasonably spec'd version as well, and that could potentially be interesting. Are there use cases? Sure, I guess? I could run 10 VCS simulations at SOC level, but why would I do that on a laptop? Nobody's trying to do that on the road or on the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Unreal Engine 4 requires around 100GB of storage to compile IIRC, so RAM is preferable for that speed wise I think :P
                Firefox clocks up there in compiling usage too.

Comment

Who is going to buy ~$3000 laptop, and use Linux on it? I would love to be that way, but reality is if someone needs that much of RAM, he would already use some cloud solution, or other OS. Also, No Ryzen, No party!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Most people would do something like 9VMs with ~12GB memory per VM and the rest held over for host use, but me, I'd do some dumbass shit like running my games from ram.
                    This makes absolutely no sense, you claim you run games from ram, how exactly does that work? You create a ram disk, install the game on the ram disk and then what happens when you shut down? You reinstall the game from scratch?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

This makes absolutely no sense, you claim you run games from ram, how exactly does that work? You create a ram disk, install the game on the ram disk and then what happens when you shut down? You reinstall the game from scratch?
                      You can transfer to RAM from disk, might take a little while, but from then on it'd be good for when you actually start accessing it from RAM. If you need sync, you could use overlayfs afaik and it can use the disk as a backing store to sync to before shutdown.

Comment

Working...
                      X