Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Benchmarks - Previously Unimaginable Performance For Sub-$600 Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secure AMD vs insecure Intel CPUs. Not a fair comparison.

Comment

Wow, Intel is only competetive in the mobile segment when using a 45W 'mobile' part meant for high end gaming laptops--the kinds of laptops that come with power bricks that weigh more than this whole laptop.

Well done, AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
        Wow, Intel is only competetive in the mobile segment when using a 45W 'mobile' part meant for high end gaming laptops--the kinds of laptops that come with power bricks that weigh more than this whole laptop.

Well done, AMD.
        Tbh, I'd kill for a 45W part, but my company stuck a 15W part down my throat and now expects me to compile Java on it. While running MySQL and an application server in Docker containers. On Windows.
        But once you have a 15W part, nothing prevents you from building a 45W counterpart. Save for production capacity. So it's all good, AMD will get there, too.

Comment

4500U looks like a much better CPU than 4700U - it has 25% less cores but performance-wise it's just 8-14% slower (I don't understand the two last graphs in the article which both say "Geometric Mean Of All Test Results")

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
          This picture is going to be very commonplace over the next couple of years......

Intel charging fortunes for toasters, thanks AMD for bringing competition and innovation back to x86.
          In many tests 1065G7 based laptops are often faster despite having just four cores and they were sold below $700 before the COVID-19 pandemic.

It would be great if you stopped posting this horrible image. This is a technical forum, not SnapChat or WCCFTech.

Lastly 6 is 1.5 times more than 4 but 4500U is nowhere near 50% faster.

Comment

as usual with laptops: only good for reading emails, as soon as you use the CPU, it turns into a lava stone

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              The CPU may be awesome, but the implementation is not. For me, any laptop under 15.4" is unusable. And while I understand some like smaller screens because of portability, the tiny keyboard is getting extra crammed because of those speakers. Working on this thing is not going to be very pleasant.
              Funny, because I don't really see much of a point in getting anything larger 15.4". At that point you might as well use a desktop. My current laptop is 13.3" and I have no issues at all typing on it. The keys are spaced appropriately; the only tricky part is where some of them are placed.
              Now, imagine what AMD could have done, have they not insisted on using Vega graphics, but moved to RDNA instead. Vega is not that power inefficient when not pushed, but still...
              As long as the iGPU continues to be utterly starved for bandwidth, moving to RDNA wouldn't really accomplish much at all. Vega is plenty power efficient for laptops; it's the desktop models that are woefully power-hungry.
              Besides, did you see the power consumption graphs? This laptop looks pretty good under load.

Comment

Fake news

Comment

There are multiple designs that incorporate 6 and 8 core zen 2 chips with measly 8 gigs of ram soldered on board and no option to upgrade. This is one astonishingly stupid decision, severely crippling those powerful cpus.

It is almost as if oems are hesitant to design really good machines around those amazing CPUs in order to not upset intel....

I opted for a cheaper "business class" machine with a 4500u only because it had the additional ram slot, so I could upgrade it to 20 gigs to make it usable. Curiously, the cost of that 6 core zen 2 cpu laptop was lower than an identical configuration with an intel dual core i3... pathetic...
                  Last edited by ddriver; 01 June 2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Really appreciated the results/report you presented, it gave me a greate guide for a viable list of laptop to buy. Those manufactures should thank you as well!

Comment

I'm curious to see how amd ryzen 7 4800u will do, the beste 15w amd cpu with the best igpu

Comment

Working...
                      X