Jolla Making Plans For Sailfish OS In 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Don't they already make that with Servo?
    Would be new to me that is production ready and Mozilla writing an Gecko Java/Android API after another doesn't show that I'm wrong.
    Also it's new to me that this really a replacement for something like mozembedded or QWebengine.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Don't they already make that with Servo?
      It's a research project.

Comment

phoronix : Yes, still interested to get news on linux mobile OS ! (the ones based on privacy : Ubports, /e/, SailfishOS, ...)

If I remember well I came here first to get news on Ubuntu Touch.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by GaryTheGravelGuy View Post

The most important implication of community ports is the lack of Aliendalvik for Android app compatibility. Predictive text is missing too, as is MS Exchange support.

If your preferred device does not already have a community port, It's not terribly difficult to port it yourself as long as it is decently supported by LineageOS. The folks in #sailfishos-porters on freenode are usually quite helpful if you get stuck.
          As someone else said it also doesn't have iOS app compatibility also. If you need those you are better of buying an ios or android device.

Text prediction can be replaced with pressage and MS exchange is a problem yes. However those two i believe in theory could be made available as a payed app through the store or something if jolla wanted to.

Comment

Given the likes of UBports, postmarketOS, KDE Plasma Mobile, and other Linux smartphone efforts, are you still interested in Sailfish OS in 2020?
            It's my daily driver, so yes color me interested!

Comment

I'm a Sailfish OS user since Jolla 1 came around, currently on the Sony Xperia X.

AFAICS this is the only "production worthy" alternative to iOS and Android atm. It has a LOT of issues and Jolla has failed so incredibly hard on various things in the past it's not even funny, but it's still the only viable alternative.

The UX is actually really good, base apps are "ok", android support is "just about enough" for most critical things.

The things its mostly behind and failing on are:

1. App store hasn't been improved since day 1, no monetization support at all
              2. Security is laughable, even with encryption, sandboxing is non-existant (still better than pre-hacked Android or "not yours to own" iOS tho)
              3. Jolla are incapable of fixing most of the major issues (manpower and management issues)
              4. Sold out to eastern powers

It's really sad to see it in this limbo state for years, I really wish they'd just open sourced the thing completely already. There are some really talented people working on SailfishOS stuff in their free time (e.g. Coderus) but I think a LOT more would jump on if it was properly freed.

Comment

When someone sells in bulk an "empty" phone (meaning unlocked with no OS) that I can load the OS of my choice, then Sailfish becomes relevant.

I am going to ask the Lenovo rep if this is even possible given the market. The problem always come down to the ecosystem and in the US, the carriers.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                  When someone sells in bulk an "empty" phone (meaning unlocked with no OS) that I can load the OS of my choice, then Sailfish becomes relevant.

I am going to ask the Lenovo rep if this is even possible given the market. The problem always come down to the ecosystem and in the US, the carriers.
                  I'm kinda waiting for Pinephone with this myself. I was tempted to get the current iteration already but it seems the support is still in infancy so I'll wait a bit longer. Already cancelled the librem 5 order since it gave me the scam willies.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

I'm kinda waiting for Pinephone with this myself. I was tempted to get the current iteration already but it seems the support is still in infancy so I'll wait a bit longer. Already cancelled the librem 5 order since it gave me the scam willies.
                    After reading the Pinephone development blog, I walked away. It read like a bunch of kids trying to make a phone out of a Rasp Pi.

Comment

Working...
                    X