Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Making Plans For Sailfish OS In 2020

Phoronix: Jolla Making Plans For Sailfish OS In 2020

Jolla has been working on Sailfish OS for nearly a decade now and for 2020 they are planning more improvements to their Linux-based smartphone OS as well as working to push Sailfish into new markets...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Uh, well, I like it is an option, but to be honest it is pretty crappy. Apple and Android phones are also crappy, so no difference there. I have always hated laptops because they are all crappy, too. Tablets and phones are even more crappy than laptops. I want big screen, lots of power, and excellent mechanical keyboard. Things which can't deliver that are crappy.

Those three phones are all extremely crappy but in different ways crappy for different people. I would be able to stand Jolla's crappiness so that I don't need Google account for my phone or anything iWhatever.

Comment

Is Sailfish OS still relevant?

While Android and iOS are a joke, the rest are even worse.

I laugh when new flagship phones keep falling at simple things, including the classical no enough space even if having a 2TB SDXC or need to clean Play Store because it's unable to install an app.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        Is Sailfish OS still relevant?
        In terms of mass market relevance iOS and Android more or less have the market carved up between them. Not that there aren't niches that OSs like SailfishOS can slot into pretty well, but those are just that, niches.

Damn shame too. Been using SailfishOS for several years already, first trough their own phone and for the last couple of years an Xperia X with it flashed onto the device. The thing that I really liked about the N9, and which carried over into SailfishOS, was how well gestures were integrated into the OS and how smooth it made single handed use. No needing to reach for the bottom of the screen all the time, which is a really un-ergonomic design, just a side-to-side swipe. Hell, the whole OS has always been well set up for single handed use since the start. In all the years since then, only the iPhone X series has done gesture-based navigation anywhere near as well and that's only because they had to work around dropping the home button.

Will probably be upgrading soon-ish to an Xperia 10 so I can keep using SailfishOS as my Xperia X has developed an odd issue where it'll reboot for some reason when I leave it charging overnight.

Comment

Jolla product is interesting but let’s face it I’m not going to worry about it until it actually ships. Even then it will only be for a tablet use.

as for an actual phone they are too important to me to mess around with strange OS’es that are barely supported. Reliability is so important that I do nothing to my iPhone that might risk that.

ive spent years with Linux on the desktop and get reminded from time to time how simple updates can often lead to hours of debugging. Can’t afford that on a cell phone. Jolla would need to deliver a rock solid product on hardware they support before I’d ever consider it. Back in the day I didn’t even trust my iPhone due to a couple of dodgy updates from Apple. It took years before I felt comfortable with communications on one cell phone.

Comment

From their 30 December blog. Michael is absolutely correct: the only thing of any relevance is the short, almost-one-sentence paragraph beginninglike this:

"...Our 2020 Roadmap includes improving security architecture for UI, privacy-preserving multi-user support, and new enablers for cloud-based services, to name a few..."

WHAT?! "...privacy-preserving MULTI-USER SUPPORT..."

"Multi-user support" is being designed into Sailfish." MULTI-USER SUPPORT" is being designed into a TELEPHONE!?
            Not MY telephone.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
              I want big screen, lots of power, and excellent mechanical keyboard.
              Install Sailfish to Planet computer Cosmo then https://store.planetcom.co.uk/produc...o-communicator Although lots of power is subjective

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                Jolla product is interesting but let’s face it I’m not going to worry about it until it actually ships.
                You are aware they shipped their first phone, what 7 years ago already, and they still update its OS at the same with the later phones. They have kept quite steady pace of 4-5 releases/year so far.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
                  From their 30 December blog. Michael is absolutely correct: the only thing of any relevance is the short, almost-one-sentence paragraph beginninglike this:

"...Our 2020 Roadmap includes improving security architecture for UI, privacy-preserving multi-user support, and new enablers for cloud-based services, to name a few..."

"Multi-user support" is being designed into Sailfish." MULTI-USER SUPPORT" is being designed into a TELEPHONE!?
                  Not MY telephone.

if it is just an option its not bad.
                  i'd use it to seperate work and private stuff

Comment

Sailfish is the only real working supported option other than Android or iOS.
                    Upgrading from my Xperia X to newer hardware was the best decision i made, it was a bigger difference than i expected.
                    Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

Not MY telephone.
                    Sound like something an licensing customer asked for maybe they have another use for some devices, like workers sharing a device at different hours or different modes for work and private with separate encrypted environments.
                    Linux distributions have good multi-user support but it doesn't effect single user systems.
                    Last edited by Nille_kungen; 31 December 2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X