Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purism Announces Librem Server While Also Announcing Price Hikes On The Librem 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it funny how these purists love to desecrate this "privacy etc" thing but insist on using Intel cpus in order to sell this false sense of "security". Also, another massive scam!

Comment

What's even the point of purism anymore? System76 are shipping affordable hardware with the latest processors AND still providing coreboot.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
        What's even the point of purism anymore? System76 are shipping affordable hardware with the latest processors AND still providing coreboot.
        System76 computers empower the world's curious and capable makers of tomorrow

They are $2400 too and don't have coreboot either. I feel gypped.

Comment

This is dead. F**u Librem!!!

Comment

Purism has been a joke. The Librem 5 seemed promising at first, i mean it was still insanely expensive, but i could just barely justify the expense. But an extra $100 dollars for this? Hell no. The hardware is only really worth $250 dollars, and that's being generous. Add in software costs and it still really shouldn't be more than $400-500 USD. $799 makes it ridiculously overpriced.

Besides price, they are also extremely behind, they've lied about shipping by trying to claim it was out in the wild only to change tune at the very last minute, and they changed their stance on the modems: You aren't getting Gemalto modems unless you pay more for them.

Most importantly: They aren't following the SPC law of Washington state (where they applied for it). They are supposed to be publicly releasing documents about their financial situation and their current/future goals and projects, and they haven't even posted a single report for that since 2017 when they became a SPC.

This shit reeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
              I asked for a refund on the Librem 5 recently and suprisingly enough got it fairly soon. So they're not broke yet but I wouldn't be too optimistic. I'm sad too because I really wish they'd succeed, just not this way. The phone is already 2-3x more expensive "just because open source and hw switches". Yes I understand their R&D is expensive and yes we need a free phone like this, but the constant price hikes, schitzophrenic behavior and bad rep of their CEO's practices made me pull the plug on this one.

Between Jolla and Purism the choices are really bleak...
              They should've just gone with an Intel Atom SoC with Intel iGPU.

Is it entirely open source down to the firmware? No

Is it at the same level as the typical desktop or laptop running Linux? Yes. And that's significantly better than every single consumer device out there. And practically useful, without as much work as the Librem 5 requires.

Comment

If Librem5 mobile had 5G then I'd probably be ok with the price even tho I don't care for 5G.
                But a 4G low spec phone at this price will only be popular for people super worried about security.
                Sure security is great and all but I find being careful what applications you install and run helps allot also

In comparison I paid $450aud (new) for my lenovo snapdragon 855 (7nm) mobile which is a slide phone with 48MP camera (combo thing). Now that does include $50aud tax rebate but still.... only around $350-400USD....

I'm curious how secure the pinephone will be in comparison to the librem5, maybe someone will do a comparison.

Comment

Purism.. is going down the toilet..
                  In the mean time.. thanks but we have Pine Phone..

Now the hope, for computer is in the PowerPC laptop, and lighter work with the PineBookPro..

Comment

I think Purism's major selling point is custom processor and hardware configuration with security in mind.
                    Unfortunately this makes the whole thing like 5-10x the price it should be when looking at the guts of it as a measure.

They are not being very successful with marketing this product and explaining why someone would pay $800USD vs $150USD for the same or better spec phone?! Seems there relying on people like TLG to market it for them, but when your receiving the product for free its sort of pretty bias to talk majorly positive about it all...

Comment

I really liked the idea of the Librem 5 and backed it. But this is getting completely ridiculous given that Pine can produce a phone with similar benefits so much cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                      X